Skip to main content
English French German Italian Spanish

850 steering lock removal

Forums

Hi - this is held in with a spring steel pin, in a blind hole. Drilling out has been recommended on the forum but this is very difficult as the pin is close to the yoke and it is difficult to drill straight into the pin. Has anyone tried punching the lock out or any other method?

Greg

Yes, right size big punch, big hammer sharp blow with yoke supported. Out In one. Pin- right size dowel punch (good quality) sharp blow, out in one, Yoke well supoprted and clean. Lock and pin bin fodder.

One of the easier bit to strip down.

MK3 Commando

Not sure but is there not a difference between the MK3 and pre MK3 steering lock retention ? and only the MK3 has the pin, so pre MK3 is a lot easier to remove.

I've replaced the lock barrel on my Mk.2a 850 a few weeks ago. A few taps with hammer and drift had it out in a few seconds - likewise the new barrel went in in a similar fashion. A bit too easy if you ask me - but it works OK!.

Previously christopher_winsby wrote:

Yes, right size big punch, big hammer sharp blow with yoke supported. Out In one. Pin- right size dowel punch (good quality) sharp blow, out in one, Yoke well supoprted and clean. Lock and pin bin fodder.

One of the easier bit to strip down.

MK3 Commando

Thanks Chris

Previously mark_woodward wrote:

I've replaced the lock barrel on my Mk.2a 850 a few weeks ago. A few taps with hammer and drift had it out in a few seconds - likewise the new barrel went in in a similar fashion. A bit too easy if you ask me - but it works OK!.

thanks Mark

My steering lock decided to drop into the locked position as I was riding round a corner back in about 1976. The barrel was loose and I had locked the steering and forgot to unlock it before riding off. The pin was just resting on the frame lug until I took a slow tight turn and that, as they say, was that. Just minimum damage and a flying lesson to the lock barrel. Never had one since.

Norton Owners Club Website by 2Toucans