Skip to main content
English French German Italian Spanish

850 Mk3 Front Isolastic Vernier Thread

Forums

I am currently preparing to assemble the Mk3 front isolastic mounting that has been apart for years. However, the adjuster only screws on a couple of turns and locks solid.  There is localised thread damage on the tube and have tried cleaning the thread with a fine triangular file, with no effect.  Running a die down the thread would likely be the best and quickest option.

Does anybody know what the front isolastic vernier adjuster thread is?

Andy

As follows was buried in the Service Notes.  May need confirming.

Isolastics   06-3598   NUT   UNF  1/2"x20   SELF LOCK

In reply to by philip_hannam1

HI Philip how are you ? As I read it I think he is asking for the ISO thread not the through bolt thread. But I could be wrong. Pete W

Phil, thanks for the quick reply, but yes, as Pete mentioned, it is the thread on the isolastic mounting tube for the vernier adjuster that I need to identify.

I agree with Stan that it is 3/4" x 20tpi.

... that a thread gauge is invaluable. You can get a cheap one which would be fine for occasional use for a fiver or so.

I’m sure you have checked  no grub screw getting in the way?

Jan, no, the thread of the abutment with the grub screw is fine it is just the opposite adjuster end of the tube that has the damaged thread.

Also, the tapered end of the vernier adjuster itself has been attacked with a coarse file for some reason, taking off enough material to go into what was a countersunk thread. So a new adjuster is now on order from A-N.

i have never had a bike before where quite so much had been damaged or bodged beyond repair - about 70% replacement parts have been needed.  I had thought I had found everything, only to now find during assembly that a part as innocuous as the vernier adjuster should also have received ‘treatment’.

Found a similar but UK supplied (though unlikely made) die on eBay for just £12.95 incl, postage.  Maybe not best quality for that price, or perhaps not a big seller so being cleared, but it only needs to work once!

Thanks again for the size advice Stan. 

I sorted out one with a spot of grinding paste on the thread, turning back and forth a bit at a time until it went all the way on, clean up and Bob’s your uncle.

Best regards, Al.

Norton Owners Club Website by 2Toucans