Skip to main content
English French German Italian Spanish

650ss/Manxman polychromatic blue

Forums

Having read some of the previous threads concerning Manxman 650s, I hardly dare ask but...

On restoring my 1962 650ss cafe racer, I found the base layer of the frame to be blue and what seems to be polychromatic blue on the inner primary chaincase; was dark metallic blue used on any other 650ss models at this time?

The engine, frame, and gearbox are original but very little is. Not wishing to return it to original - just curious to know about colour options in 1962 range.

Thanks on anticipation of any help

Dave 

I know that polychromatic blue was used on export 650 Manxman models for the USA, but also some 650SS models were sold in the UK in this all over colour, with chrome mudguards. I remember seeing one of these at Bob Collier’s place in 1964. I don’t recall seeing the frame in a darker blue though, it was the same blue as the rest of the bike. 

Information from Phill Hannam  is that a number of blue 650 's were produced , not the darker blue of the Manxman  but a pale version. It also appears they were called Westoners or Westies, and were sold in the UK . I have seen photo but never in the flesh. Colour is more towards the RAC  bikes perhaps using up old paint stock !!.

Thanks, Colin and Robert - way I phrased that seemed to suggest two different blues - both frame and inner chaincase dark metallic blue - not the pale blue I have seen on some Nortons.

Thanks

Dave

During its first year of production a good number of the Manxman 650 model were exported to Europe and some to the Far East.  Most were painted in the original Manxman Mk 1 Blue but  others were shipped with the larger 99 style Black tanks. A few of both models also found their way to the UK.  Rehill Motors, Comefords and Kings of Oxford getting examples.

From engine  18 - 100100 UK sales began big time with what essentially was the standard 650SS model but  painted all-Blue in the style of the Mk 1 Manxman. A few of these all-Blue bikes were fitted with high (US style) bars and were sold in the UK with the title of the Norton 650 Western. They were not very popular and did not sell well. Possibly less than a dozen being made in total. making this model one of the rarest. This model was also known as the Westie and Westerner.

Meanwhile the all-Blue 650SS did sell fairly well until first the Grey tank  Standard 650 models were produced (from October 1961 onwards) and later the Silver tank 650SS started being sold from roughly December of that year.

What I do not know is whether the Blue colour used on the UK 650 Nortons was the same shade as the Manxman Mk 1. The photos that I have of the UK versions appear to show a slightly different shade of blue. The Manxman Mk 2 had options of Blue, Silver and Red tanks.

Hi Phill . Your Manxman piccy  shows the tank rear in the normal position for a  std slimline  but with the front of the tank well back exposing the upper part of the front downtubes , and i think a normal  length seat.  This tank appears to be somewhat bigger than the usual small American Manxman which when fitted needed a longer seat .   2 types of Manxman tanks??. or maybe a pre-production shot before they decided to move the tank forward to a more normal position  and extend the seat?.  This is fun !!

Norton Owners Club Website by 2Toucans