Skip to main content
English French German Italian Spanish

650SS mudguard differences

Forums

Hi everyone :)

Hope we are all well,

on the lookout for a mudguard for the 650 ss 66 ish but was wondering how do you know which is right for the bike is there a measurement somewhere I need to take on the mudguard and on the forks?

Remember reading somewhere that there is a differece in width between the forks :)

Cheers,

Tom

Nothing is ever simple with design changes. The pre-1964 bikes have 7" stanchion centres. Then 7+ 3/8 (to allow wider tyres).The guards could have flat side valances or be blade type. Paint or chrome on either. The metal widths are the same but the earlier ones pre 64 have deeper indents for the fork legs.Sports bikes like your SS look better with the blade type but I've not worked out which went on which bike. Maybe someone knows?Real ones are scarce... especially narrow blade type. Good Luck! ...and the last bikes had stainless steel guards with simplified shapes. All the proper steel ones had a centre ridge splaying out right at the nose.

I would say it depends on what you have as a rear mudguard..If looking for a blade type consider a Commando guard.It may get to the point where anything that will fit will be acceptable.Life's too short.

Hi

I believe the 1966 Norton 650SS / Atlas should have the deep valanced front mudguard not the blade type (see image below - not my bike). I believe they switched to this type of mudguard when they switched from 7 inch to 7 3/8 inch yokes / 12 voltsin 1964.

If you need any specific measurements let me know and I can get them for you. The best source for these mudguards is e-bay USA searching for 'norton fender'. There is currently one on there now

Kind regardsGraham

The mudguards are easier to find than the bridges and stays!, If you can get a complete one it will save a lot of trouble, Indian made ones are everywhere but the fit and finish??.You will also need the special shaped packers that go between stays and guard to avoid buckling the metal.

Hello be a ware that the rear mudguards made in India do Not have Holes drilled in them nor do they have the tags for the lighting loom for the tail light and they do not have the strengthening bridge for the rear stays these items are welded in before hand and any pre-Chromed mudguard will be of no uses Has they have be stripped of chrome and then weld these items in place then re-chrome them , So only buy the Non - Chromed ones , SO now you All been Warned , yours Anna J Dixon

Hi Graham thanks for the link thats the one I'm chasing hopefully :) be great to actually have a mudguard on it got nothing on it at the moment and itching to use the bike. it had a pattern one on that was binding the forks

Thanks for all the advice everyone is a massive help :) Ill make sure I try and hunt some stays etc down unless another one comes up before that ends

Thanks again,

Tom

Good luck Tom. I have spent 6 months looking for a bridge and stays for a 67 Atlas. Plenty of bits around but none right.Yes the bridge can load up the legs and cause binding poor action and wear.

Norton Owners Club Website by 2Toucans