Skip to main content
English French German Italian Spanish

600 Domi 99 Clutch Centre Nut

Forums

Hi chaps, working on my 1960 99 Slimline, does anyone know the socket size to fit the Norton/AMC clutch centre nut, or is a box spanner called for? I have already tried the usual 22mm six sided socket with no success (using the correct clutch holding tool of course!). My 7/16 Whit six sided is no good either. 

I have the centre puller tool as well ready and waiting... once it's off I can finally crack on with getting the centre stand fitted! Hopefully you'll be able to see the picture I uploaded...

Yours in desperation, 

Ran

You need a narrow walled socket, or grind one down a little - I can’t remember the size but it isn’t metric!  I made a clutch locking tool by welding two plates together and adding a handle.

RGM says its 5/8 x20TPI https://www.rgmnorton.co.uk/buy/clutch-location-nut-all-models_497.htm

…I used a 1/2”W box spanner with the external hex points relieved a little on the grinder to clear the internal threads on the clutch centre.

It’s double ended so the external hex on the other end (7/16W) fits a socket for loosening and tightening purposes.

Hope this helps.

Edited because I got the ends the wrong way round first time!

Many thanks for the replies chaps - Alan can I please borrow yours if you still have it? I'll send you an email off the forum as well. 

Forum seems great so far - very helpful people!

Available at online tool shops from a little over £5 and Amazon from a little over £6.

One of my first tasks, as an apprentice, was to make my own tools. This included box spanners and puller / extractor.  The box spanner was simply a short length of thin walled tube heated to cherry red and placed over my clutch mainshaft nut. As it cooled it gripped the nut at which point I bashed in the sides to match the nut flats. Still using it 50 years on.

I made a second one for a friend but only thicker water pipe tubing was available. No problems as,  after repeating the above process, the tube end was ground down until it would slide inside the clutch spider centre. 

The puller / extractor just happed to fit the engine spocket on my Dominator. That is still around as well. 

Thanks chaps for your help! Alan I've ordered the Melco box spanner as you suggested. Looks like my angle grinder will be getting a light use shaving it down. Yippee sparks everywhere!

Phil your apprenticeship sounds really interesting - sadly not like that these days, I'm just out of apprenticeship age at 30! 

Many thanks Alan and Phil for your help - I did as you suggested and it worked! Finally managed to fit my centre stand along with the (well greased!) thin securing bolts that pass through the main centre stand bolts, funnily enough none of the manuals mention them... 

Just trial fitting the rear mudguard during my lunch break (working from home)!

Norton Owners Club Website by 2Toucans