Skip to main content
English French German Italian Spanish

3318 vs N8038 gearbox main shafts

Forums

Does anyone know if these two main shafts are exactly the same ? I have a parts list for my 1938 ES2 that lists the main shaft as #3318 for my dollshead gearbox. Is the #N8038 also suitable for this gearbox. At the moment I am thinking they are the same, just the later one has different numbers due to be made during the war. Why they would bother doing this I bewilders me. Are the innards from the later upright gearbox the same as a dollshead ? I have asked the NOC shop via email as I wish to purchase one although I can never seem to get a response. It's not the first time I have contacted them with a query. Are they snowed under with correspondence and orders ?

Glen, Have you had a look at Peter Roydhouse's gearbox info page ?

http://www.nortonownersclub.org/support/technical-support-singles/copy_of_manx-camshafts-1951-to-1963

The N8000 series of numbers with which the components were marked seem to have been an internal production reference (perhaps from Burmans who made the boxes for Norton). They don't relate to the Norton parts book numbers.

My Doll's Head has an N8038 mainshaft in

Cheers, Rich

Thanks Rich, I just got a reply from Ian Somerville the spares officer. Maybe he read this thread. He tells me the shafts are indeed different. There's only one thing for it then, apart my box comes over the next few days sometime. It has to anyway, so I will be looking for numbers on gears and shafts and see how they relate to the link above. I have a bent shaft in mine as a few of you might know from a thread in another forum. I have seen a few of the N8030 shafts for sale but none of the 3318 shafts. Anyway will let you know what I find inside mine. Glenn

Ok. So I've pulled it all apart again. At least I'm getting good at that !! My casing has the following marks:

E

I

N8001

Spaced out just like that. I'm not sure if the I under the E is supposed to be an I or a 1. My shaft has the number N8030 on it which matches neither of the previous numbers talked about. I did a quick search on the internet and noticed RGM listing a N8030/2 shaft for a pre AMC International box although mine does not have the /2. All the gears have varoius N80XX numbers marked on them. So now I am really confused. What box do I actually have ? What kind of shaft do I try and get hold of ? The shaft I have is 228mm long which matches the length of the N8038 shafts I have seen advertised.

Ok I've just realised something. There is no #N8038 shaft. The one I saw was in fact a #N8030 and I must have been looking at it cross eyed. So it seems I have just confused myself and anyone else reading this thread. I'm guessing your shaft Richard is a N8030 also. I would still like to know which gearbox I have though according to the numbers/letters on case. I would presume due to the E it is an early one, 1935-45.

Norton Owners Club Website by 2Toucans