Skip to main content
English French German Italian Spanish

1973 Commando RGM head steady

Evening all. Question on my newly fitter RGM head steady. Is the clamp meant to be loose? It is fully tightened and I can slide it.

Previously sean_keenan wrote:

Evening all. Question on my newly fitter RGM head steady. Is the clamp meant to be loose? It is fully tightened and I can slide it.

No it is meant to clamp and not move. I have heard that frames made in Italy measured slightly smaller. My frame measures 1 inch (25.4 mm) Frames made in Italy 25 mm. I would contact RGM for a solution.

Previously christopher_winsby wrote:

No it is meant to clamp and not move. I have heard that frames made in Italy measured slightly smaller. My frame measures 1 inch (25.4 mm) Frames made in Italy 25 mm. I would contact RGM for a solution.

I can confirm that as I have a Verlicchi frame and have had to shim the (Dave Taylor) head steady clamp in order to make it grip.

Previously Chris Grimmett wrote:

I can confirm that as I have a Verlicchi frame and have had to shim the (Dave Taylor) head steady clamp in order to make it grip.

Hi. Going off track all but slightly. But i looking to replace an orginal head steady on a 77 MK111. I like the look of the RGM one but have been told these are difficult to fit??? Mark.

Previously mark_chapman2 wrote:

Previously Chris Grimmett wrote:

Hi. Going off track all but slightly. But i looking to replace an orginal head steady on a 77 MK111. I like the look of the RGM one but have been told these are difficult to fit??? Mark.

It was easy compaired with removing the rusty original, just follow the instructions. Only problem you may have to shim the clamp as Chris said.

Morning all. This is the feedback/fix I received from Roger at RGM "Hello Sean, yes this does happen from time to time but all I do is carefully wrap maybe three loops of insulation tape around the frame, also helps to protect the thepaint, there is not a big twisting load and it works for me, it may be a little more or a little less depending on the tape, check with the half clamp as you go along, the reply from the internet is exactly correct. Best regards, Roger"

Morning all. This is the feedback/fix I received from Roger at RGM "Hello Sean, yes this does happen from time to time but all I do is carefully wrap maybe three loops of insulation tape around the frame, also helps to protect the thepaint, there is not a big twisting load and it works for me, it may be a little more or a little less depending on the tape, check with the half clamp as you go along, the reply from the internet is exactly correct. Best regards, Roger"

I'd think steel shim would be preferable to insulating tape.

The headsteady takes just about all the twisting force generated by the rear wheel as the bike is leaned into a bend due to the rear wheels inertia. That is to say its reluctance to want to change from the vertical position due to the gyroscopic force generated by the angular velocity (speed of the wheel or rpm if you like) and it's mass. Lighter rims e.g aluminium generate less inertia. It's also why oversized tyres are not a good idea.

Regarding head steadies, the designs using bearing rod ends actually move through an arc as the engine moves up and down and therefore put an angle away from parallel on the front and rear isolastics and increase vibration. The Peter Williams designed isolastic head steady is the way to go.

Norton Owners Club Website by 2Toucans