Skip to main content
English French German Italian Spanish

1972 Commando Frame Number

Forums

Can I ask, does any other member own a Commando with a serial number around 205000?

I am trying to ascertain whether or not the information on my (replaced) Frame VIN plate is bogus or not.

Regards to all

RickP

My Commando is June 72 manufacture and number is

209xxx . Hope this helps

Cheers - Richard 

A lot of the commando frames have the renolds mfg date stamped on the LH gusset under the Z plate. That date of course ALWAYS precedes the bikes despatch/build date but not by more than a few months.

Thank you Richard, that is just the sort of information I was seeking which sadly confirms that the date on my own machine is very likely incorrect.  I am very (very) new to Commando ownership and, judging by some of the other posts on the subject, I seem to have walked into something of a minefield.  Have you enquired about the factory records to see when your machine was built/despatched?

Thank you John.  When I get home next week I’ll take the Z-plate off and see if there is indeed a Reynolds mfg date on the frame.

Regards

RickP

Lots of Commandos were being pulled from the line and modified in the Combat debacle. Dates can be all over the place. I had 2005xx (a drum braked 30mm head Roadster) which was presumably built late 1971 for the 1972 model year and it had no date stamped on the plate at all. Unfortunately, it was missing from the factory ledgers too.

Hi Richard- In answer to your question I have not gotten the factory build records for my bikes but I fully intend to . I am aware that the road to H_ll is paved with good intentions and yet I procrastinate...

I have never been much concerned with the numbers matching bit - the only value of it to me is that a future buyer may find it desirable.

Of even less interest to me is the whole “ provenance “ thing . The fact that Elvis Prestly or Steve McQueen or Queen Elizabeth once owned the motorcycle does not change it any way except again , a future buyer may find it valuable.

I have 2059XX which is date stamped March 1972. Hope this helps.

In reply to by steve_constable

Thank you very much Steve.  That is within 500 of my own which I also estimated was a March build given that the records show it being dispatched in early April 72.

Best wishes and thanks again

Rick

206XXX, 750 Combat, plate and NOC records confirm Sept 72 build, so mine is well out of sequence. Not road reg until Jan 74.

207XXX Apr 72 build, Combat.

I found the mfg date on the frame just as you said John - December 1971.  That seems consistent with a March 72 manufacturing date for the bike ( and the April dispatch date per the factory records).  Quite why the original restorer put June 72 on the VIN plate I have no idea.  I can only assume that the original plate lacked a date and, knowing it was a ‘72, the restorer plumped for the middle of the year.

Thank you everyone that took the time to respond to my post - I am very grateful to you all.

regards

RickP

Norton Owners Club Website by 2Toucans