Skip to main content
English French German Italian Spanish

1960 Model 50 rear brake pedal reassembly

Forums

I'm completing my restoration and can't seem to get the brake pedal pivot assembly to fit correctly. It seems simple enough but when I've 'TRIED' the long arm of the spring scrapes the tube of the frame. Can anyone send me some pictures or help me with a sketch?

Hi Kenneth, I've added an attachment showing the brake pedal and pivot and arrowed is a thick washer with a 90 degree tab which locates the spring and also acts as a pedal stop. The washer fits between the brake pivot and the frame gusset plate,

Attachments 263a.jpg

Thanks Robert. Picture is spot on. So tail end of spring does end up next to the frame tube ... just didn't seem right to me. Today it will be fitted!!.

Cheers, Ken.

Hi.

There should be a further thick washer/distance piece - about an 1/8" - 3/16" thick (part no 19997 - 1959 Parts book) that sits between the stop mentioned by Robert and the frame. Thisshould make the end of the spring clear the frame. The original spring was alsothicker and shorter (the bit that touches the frame in Robert's photo)than the pattern ones I've seen for sale.

Regards.

Ian.

Norton Owners Club Website by 2Toucans