Skip to main content
English French German Italian Spanish

1960 ES2 silencer

Forums

Hi All,

I have what i believe to be an original 1960 ES2 silencer. Its a cigar shape 3" diameter tapered at the exhaust end and rounded at the entry pipe, pretty well concentric.

All the photos I've seen for this year have the more oval type with the entry pipe at the bottom, is this correct? or is it just that the offset type is available and the concentric not?

I would be interested in your views as I need to replace the exhaust system.

Thanks in advance.

I believe that the one in your second photo is the correct one although there are no pictures in the parts books with which to confirm this.

pn: 22121 for all wideline and slimline singles.

Hi.

The second 'oval' one is correct, the first - I believe - was used on some of the slimline models. The one on my bike was from Armours and is the only one I've ever had, in the 34 years I've had the bike, that I haven't decked. RGM do a reasonable copy too which has a 'baffle' (?) system like the Commando 'peashooters' i.e. straight-through, but, it is a bit fatter and has a raised seam running underneath it. Other copies on the market range from the reasonable to the down right ugly. So, the choice is - a bit more performance (and noise)from RGM -or - a bit more ground clearance from Armours - which although more baffled has a nice healthy 'crack' to it.

This is my 1960 ES2.

Regards.

Ian.

Attachments 1ES2-3.jpg

My 1959 ES2, bought in 1967 and still owned, is a wideline and came with the flatter type with bottom seam. Its engine and frame number are in the 1960 series. In 1969 I bought an ex-RAC outfit fitted with and ES2 engine in slimline frame, dated 1960. This had the round, cigar shaped silencer. It was in better condition and so I later fitted it to the earlier bike. From the saddle they sound the same, but having never been behind, I can't comment on the sound to others!

The long cigar silencer was fitted to the Deluxe Dommie. I'm not sure if it was on anything else but I have a pair on my Dommie 99 as they look better than the others.

Thanks for all the information, Question is where can I find a new one? I think they look nice.

Regards to all Rob

Previously wrote:

The long cigar silencer was fitted to the Deluxe Dommie. I'm not sure if it was on anything else but I have a pair on my Dommie 99 as they look better than the others.

At one time the cigar was fitted across the range, so its possible.

Norton Owners Club Website by 2Toucans