Skip to main content
English French German Italian Spanish

1956 ES2 wiring loom

Forums

Could anyone help me source a wiring loom for my 1956 ES2, I have seen one advertised on EBAY for a Mod 7 and 77, I also have a 1957 Model 77 and would think it is the same but would be very grateful for any advice

Thanks

Ian

Hi Ian,
I too have a model 77 (1957), and recently purchased a plunger frame ES2 basketcase.
As to the M77, many of the harnesses list M7,M77 & M88 up to '56, it will be the same for your '57 M77.
For the singles harnesses, I "ASSUME" the reason the M77 harness wont work on the '56 ES2 is becuse of the following:
1) The M77 horn is between the oil tank & tool box, the ES2 horn is in front of the engine.
2) the M77 has a magneto behind the engine, the dynamo is in front of the engine---- the ES2 has a mag/dyno located behind the engine.
I may have missed some other details, but the above items are enough to make the hanesses (looms) different.
Some vendors offer the looms in either plastic covered, or cotton fabric covered :)
FYI: Lucas is once again selling genuine Lucas looms! Wassell carries them & I am sure there are othe vedors in the UK that have quality ones as well.
Found this schematic (see attachment) on our NOC site doing a search:
Skip Brolund
USA

Attachments 1957-lucas-wiring-diag-for-es2-19-50-pdf.pdf nortonES2-jpg.jpg

Previously eugene_brolund wrote:

Hi Ian,
I too have a model 77 (1957), and recently purchased a plunger frame ES2 basketcase.
As to the M77, many of the harnesses list M7,M77 & M88 up to '56, it will be the same for your '57 M77.
For the singles harnesses, I "ASSUME" the reason the M77 harness wont work on the '56 ES2 is becuse of the following:
1) The M77 horn is between the oil tank & tool box, the ES2 horn is in front of the engine.
2) the M77 has a magneto behind the engine, the dynamo is in front of the engine---- the ES2 has a mag/dyno located behind the engine.
I may have missed some other details, but the above items are enough to make the hanesses (looms) different.
Some vendors offer the looms in either plastic covered, or cotton fabric covered :)
FYI: Lucas is once again selling genuine Lucas looms! Wassell carries them & I am sure there are othe vedors in the UK that have quality ones as well.
Skip Brolund
USA

Hi Skip

Many thanks for that information, I will try to source one here but as mentioned could only find one for a model 7 and 77.....actually my 56 ES2 has the horn between the oil/tool box but as you say one has a mag/dyno and the other seperate but thats no problem...thanks again, are you happy with your 77 ?

Cheers

Ian

Previously ian_bryant wrote:

Hi Ian,
Skip Brolund
USA

Hi Skip

Many thanks for that information, I will try to source one here but as mentioned could only find one for a model 7 and 77.....actually my 56 ES2 has the horn between the oil/tool box but as you say one has a mag/dyno and the other seperate but thats no problem...thanks again, are you happy with your 77 ?

Cheers

Ian

Ian,I picked mine up from Motorcycle Electrical Services on a trip to the UK. Fitted perfectly as the horn is in the same location as yours.

regards

If you end up having trouble, let me now & I can ship you one from here, but I would think there must be a vendor in the UK with one.

I like my M77, couldnt have put her together with out the help of 3 M77 owners on the NOC & I bought the cylinders, front mudguard, and read mudguard from the club as well. Threre are very few of the M77's here in the USA, so the help I got fromm this club was invaluable.

I am sure the featherbed frame is much better for racing, but I have done the ton on my single downtube model 77 with no ill effects. It was a challanging restoration, as there isnt a lot of info on them. Feel fre to post in the heavy twins section, or contact me directly If I can be of any help.

All the best,

Skip Brolund

Attachments dsc05265-jpg

If you end up having trouble, let me now & I can ship you one from here, but I would think there must be a vendor in the UK with one.

I like my M77, couldnt have put her together with out the help of 3 M77 owners on the NOC & I bought the cylinders, front mudguard, and read mudguard from the club as well. Threre are very few of the M77's here in the USA, so the help I got fromm this club was invaluable.

I am sure the featherbed frame is much better for racing, but I have done the ton on my single downtube model 77 with no ill effects. It was a challanging restoration, as there isnt a lot of info on them. Feel fre to post in the heavy twins section, or contact me directly If I can be of any help.

All the best,

Skip Brolund

Thanks again Skip, I also find the pre featherbed handling fine especially when you are used to bendy Triumph's !!!....I will keep in touch

regards

Ian

Norton Owners Club Website by 2Toucans