Skip to main content
English French German Italian Spanish

1955 ES2

Forums

I have been seeking a rear mudguard for a 1955 ES2 for around 5 years

The bike I have was a BITSA but I have managed to track down all the missing original parts, apart from the seat, which I understand can be made by Leightons, and the rear mudguard.

Talking to knowledgable folk about the mudguard situation at jumbles, I have been given the same story by a number of people. It goes something like this....

Sucking of teeth and the words "Hens teeth, Rocking horse ****, a virgin in Luton, a free round in Glasgow"

I have been told that the mudguard was specific to that year, typical, with indentations for the rear shocks, and medium depth valance. Can anyone confirm this tale of woe?

I have considered using a featherbed frame one, suitably modified, but not sure if this is possible, or just an expensive waste of time.

So, any advice sought, any suggestions welcomed and.....in my dreams, anyone who has one in their shed? :o)

Paul

Paul - I dont know where you are but mine is a 1955 ES2 if you want to have a look - I'm in Cambridge.RegardsCharles

Thanks Charles, I am in Bedfordshire so wouldn't be difficult to get over to you. perhaps you could email me your contact details to p.d.gooch@btinternet.com and I can then contact you if I need some measurements and photographs to have one made up.

Paul

Thanks Charles, I am in Bedfordshire so wouldn't be difficult to get over to you. perhaps you could email me your contact details to p.d.gooch@btinternet.com and I can then contact you if I need some measurements and photographs to have one made up.

Paul

Hi Paul,

This is a one year part but is in fact a Model 7 itemBUT the part number is incorrectly shown in theparts bookas H12/534 (should be K12/534). This mudguard is extremely close to the earlier 53/54 item in fact the only difference is the addition of extra holes for the rear seat mounting (unique seat to the 55's as well) and the holes for the rear numberplate (another one year part believe it or not). There is a slight difference however in the rear section's shapewhich unless I told you you would not have known.

I have attached a picture of a 53/54 type mudguard modified to 1955 hole placings. The rear numberplate is partly original; the face is but the boxed in area is new as what was there was scrap.

A little known and ignored detail is the fact early 55 models had the Lucas 525 tail light but as the Road Traffic (Lighting) Act(came into force October 54) required there to be a reflector which the 525 lamp doesn't have so in order to use up stocks of these they put a bicycle reflector below the rear numberplate. I'm not imagining this, it's there in the catalogue images!!! They later went to the 564 type which did have an inbuilt reflector.

There's some info you didn't know!

Jim

Attachments DSCN11950.jpg

Jim, I am very envious, your mudguard looks perfect for my bike, and your info is very much appreciated. All I need to know now is here I can get one! :)

Hi Paul,

Then I can help! I know where there is the main body of a 55 rear but the hinged section is missingbut this alone done properly in the correct gauge metal would be about £100. Theowner attends a number of bike jumbles selling mostly Norton parts but I don't have his contact details.

But if you fancy modifying an earlier mudguard I have a choice of two one New Old Stock (the first I bought but I just couldn't bring myself to alter it) and the other partly modified to 55 spec but has had the hinged section broken off then been repaired (common fault). It just needs the holes changing in the hinged section to take the 55 numberplate.

I don't know if this forum has a Personal Message feature but if you can find it send me one if you're interested as I won't display any kind of personal contact details online.

Jim

Jim, I think the know the man you speak of, in fact, if it is the same man, then I discussed the mudguard situation with him at Kempton Park shortly after he relieved a Belgian contingent of their entire Norton Stock.

I have already posted my email address in this thread in reply to Charles (see above) so you can just use that to contact me direct and discuss.

Thanks for your help.

Paul

Norton Owners Club Website by 2Toucans