Skip to main content
English French German Italian Spanish

1954 ES2 valve seats

Forums

Hi All,

I have just changed the valve guides on my 1954 ES2 iron cylinder head. The new valves are not seating perfectly hence the seats need recutting slightly to correct this prior to the usual grinding.

I have the right tool for the job but its the first time I am doing it on this head, is there anything in particular I should watch out for?

Regards and thanks,

Albert

First, remove as little metal from the heads as you can while still leaving a good seat. Second, three angle valve jobs are the best, cut first with the 45 degree cutter, then relieve with 60 degree and 30 degree cutters to leave a narrow seat. Finally finish with fine grinding paste, of course removing all grinding paste with petrol after grinding the seats..

Previously wrote:

First, remove as little metal from the heads as you can while still leaving a good seat. Second, three angle valve jobs are the best, cut first with the 45 degree cutter, then relieve with 60 degree and 30 degree cutters to leave a narrow seat. Finally finish with fine grinding paste, of course removing all grinding paste with petrol after grinding the seats..

Many thanks Colin will do.

A

Norton Owners Club Website by 2Toucans