Skip to main content
English French German Italian Spanish

1954 ES2 Norton rear mudguard

Forums

Hi All,

Does anyone on here know where I can get a rear mudguard (new or good second hand) for my 54 ES2. It's quite a large guard with a hinged flap at the bottom. In fact that's where the problem lies. The flap is full of vibration cracks and before I pull out the welding torch I wondered if I could substitute it with a good one.

Many thanks,

Albert

I searched for many a year for a decent mudguard for my '55 ES2. Gave up in the end and repaired the one that came with the bike. Took a good few days work, but I know it's been done right. If you do by some very lucky chance find another one, it is likely to be in the same or worse condition than the one you have.

Get the welding kit out.

Duncan.

I've owned my 1955 ES2 from 1970 and have searched for rear mudguards from the mid 1980's for two projects, another ES2 and a Model 7.  In all that time I've only ever seen two for sale, which I bought ready for the projects.

The second one I found at the Banbury Run autojumble about 4 years ago and it was in excellent condition.  So, they do turn up very occasionally!

Last year I loaned this Banbury mudguard to a NOC member as a pattern so that he could get one made, and it arrived back yesterday.  I'm waiting to see photos of the new mudguard when it's painted.  Whether the manufacturer will make any more, I don't know.

A few years ago I think the NOC shop had some of these made, but I've not seen them listed for a long time.

There are two styles of mudguard for the single down-tube Nortons, the most common one is a 'C' section, whereas mine is more of a 'U' section, which some people seem to think (wrongly) is a BSA mudguard. I do have a lovely GRP/Kevlar rear mudguard, in shiny gloss black that will fit this frame, but it does not have a hinge to lift the tail section; this is OK for a solo but not suitable for a sidecar machine.  I may be open to offers on this!

Hi Albert, 

Since you already have a guard, welding in a repair section by skilled restorer will be your quickest and most certain route.

My own personal experience is that an advert in the 'wants' section of Roadholder, including a phone number, will bring offers from the vast majority of members who don't do Internet, maybe not so active, but with sheds still full of useful Noton treasures.

Worth a shot. 

Peter 

Norton Owners Club Website by 2Toucans