Skip to main content
English French German Italian Spanish

1952 Inter rear end tin-ware

Forums

Hi,

It's time to work on my long-time dormant, fairly original, scruffy, 1952 plunger M30 in order to get it back on the road but there are one or two (non-critical) things I'd like to sort out in the near future.  In essence, the rear mudguard is a simple after-market narrow C-section without the 'duck-tail(?), the mudguard stays are bodged and the rear number plate (holder) is quite grim. In no particular order can some kind folk shed some light on:

1. where to obtain an authentic-looking rear mudguard

2. where to obtain a rear number-plate (the open type with a curved top) shaped to accept a round or oval light fitting.  That plate seems to have been fairly standard form 1950 to 1952 across the Norton singles range, from what I can see.  I can't find a part number for it though.

3. the club-shop offers two types of lifting handle as both suitable for the plunger OHC models, B4/536P and B4/536 and the pictures appear the same....  but what is the difference?

4. Would the 1952 OHC have had a T-battery carrier or the standard type?   Many images of bikes on the web provides no conclusive answer...   btw I need a battery carrier too!

I'd really appreciate any guidance on the above as am new to Norton's and  hopefully someone can also point me in the direction of useful suppliers. The common Norton suppliers don't seem too good on tin-ware but I'm hoping there's an industrious 'Fred in a shed'  somewhere making useful bits for the older bikes.

Many thanks.

Take care before rushing in to change things.  The Inters had narrow C section mudguards, unlike the wider guards of the other road bikes.

Vintage Steel in West Australia made guards for my 1950 Inter - expensive but exactly right. The rear stays/lifting handle should be 9/16” tubing which is the one shown as out of stock, the other is 1/2” tube.

John Doig

David, John, thank you for the replies. I'll try asking the club if/when they intend to restock the 9/16  lifting handle or (long shot) they'll tell me who makes them.  The VS mudguards certainly look the business if expensive.  I suppose I could do worse than ask the new owners (Tricor) of Speedwell if they are prepared to make some, I may need to have an original to show them however.

Re the narrow section rear mudguard currently fitted I'm only guessing it's not original. However, the bike was seemingly raced for it's first few years and maybe the duck-tail mudguard was regarded as having excesss weight, too fiddly in the paddock etc.

Norton Owners Club Website by 2Toucans