Skip to main content
English French German Italian Spanish

1952 Es2 primary chain

Forums

How many links  should  primary  chain have is it 76 links including spring link,seems a bit tight? Barrie. 

The clutch will always have 42 teeth...Chain length will depend upon engine sprocket size. 

Thanks Richard for the reply, engine has standed 20t sprocket. 

Sounds correct then. The WD16H with 18t engine sprocket had 74 and I have a half-link running 19t.

The ES2 went to swing arm in 1953 so yours should have plungers. The chain gets tighter at full bounce and rebound so whatever the book says will only be a guide. You might have to add or take away links or even a half link to make sure it doesn't end up bar tight.

Also of course the chain is 5/8 × 1/4".  When asked why they used a narrower chain than most, Franks allegedly simply replied "why not?" And he was a better motorcycle engineer than most of us.

... is of course true but the question was about the primary. What is worth checking is that the primary hasn't been overadjusted ie the gearbox moved right back. And of course when adjusting the pprimary always finsih up by adjusting the box forward to take up any play.

Thanks everyone for the comments,another thing on rear sprocket brake drum will use bolts instead of the original studs,kept coming loose.Use a little loctite on bolts think will be ok?

... coming loose bacuase the B4/662 dowels have fretted the holes they register in so allowing slight movement which loosens the studs. You get a similar effect on the QD wheel if the sleeve nuts have ever been allowed to loosen - the taperes wear and you can never tighten them up properly.

Loctite may work but I would put it on the dowels as well although this may make future dismantling harder.

Hi Ian ,  Thanks for the reply, yes did notice the drum even new one I put on dowel holes are a little loose fit,like you say put extra pressure on studs.Think what I will do,turn drum till touch's dowels in direction of load then loctite bolts into hub,that I hope will do the trick, yes I should  think bolts and dowels take the same load,as there's going to be a little  location slack at first for drum to fit  on. Just  a question  of keeping bolts or nuts tight if using studs.

... the load reverses on the overrun but admittedly is less than when being driven.

Norton Owners Club Website by 2Toucans