Skip to main content
English French German Italian Spanish

1948 ES2 smoking badly

Forums

Hello folks!

I am wondering if anyone has had a similar problem as me, in that my ES2 engine is burning oil and therefore smokes rather excessively-its a newly refurbed engine.

My oil control ring is running within tolerance for an OHV engine, although not for the ring gaps suggested for a Norton which seem very tight, the JP piston, came supplied with the rings ready gapped...I am waiting to find out if I can get oversize rings for it.

No obvious cracks or mishaps, the oil relief works as it should, valves and guides are good, may be a little tight, oil scavenging is good.

I have read that you can virtually turn off the oil feed to the barrel to reduce smoking, in the pitmans book of the Norton. BUT what I really would like to know is where the oil control ring sits in relation to the oil feed hole when it is at the bottom of the stroke-can someone let me know where theirs sits-perhaps the distance from thetop of the liner to the top of the oil control hole. Mine seems to be almost under the oil feed hole, therefore the oil is scraped into the combustion chamber! Is this correct? This is a relinered barrel, and new piston/rings with the hole having been drilled using the existing hole in the barrel as a guide.

Has anyone blanked off the oil feed to the barrel and lived to tell the tale...was it blanked off at the bore or elsewhere? Previous experience advice required!

Please help me! I am mightily confused!

Lana :(

Hello Lana,

Have you checked to see if the oil control ring is installed right side up? I know it sounds like a dumb question but, you never know. The silliest things can louse up an engine overhaul.

Albert

Norton Owners Club Website by 2Toucans