Skip to main content
English French German Italian Spanish

1947 norton model 18.rear sprocket.

Forums

can you still get the rear sprocket drum could you please let me know where. many thanks andy.

Lots of the cycle parts that especially were common with the war era 16H are being made in India and are readily available almost anywhere. I know that here in Australia, if they are scarce, then the reason given is the orders have gone to the UK, so if your in the UK, have a look around. Tanks, tinware, headlights, brake drums, rear stands, wheel rims, rubber ware, it's all available. Lots of the stuff comes back to us through what we think are legitimat UK Norton outlets, so around and around it goes. Considering the stuff that is reproduced in India and other Asian countries are made in any kind of workshop with any kind of quality control, "ya gets wot ya pays for" and often the stuff needs to be worked on again to fit!!!

I had a Commando rear drum that would not sit down against the wheel properly as the three locating pins were not exactly on the PCD they should have been on and a rear sprocket I put on my Model 18 that was too wide for the chain to sit down on and no, it wasn't for a 3/8" chain, it was just over 1/4" and I had to turn it down to the correct width so the chain would fit. Drum diam was also a bit over 7" so the fit of brand new stock linings would be like old worn linings. As it was I had new linings bonded to the old shoes I had so I took all dimensions into account so all is sweet. The rear main stands are also a piece of work and need fitting.

However, better than nothing at all, so no real complaints, just don't expect perfection and you might need to fix so called brand new parts. If you get onto a supplier of these drums, take some vernier calipers along and measure the drum diam and sprocket tooth width, so you can be sure of what your buying.

Bob

look on UK ebay

Item number:380256616394Item location:SPALDING, LINCS, United Kingdom

I just spotted this, I know nothing about this outfit, am not recomending them as I have nothing at all to do with them. Have a look here, decide for yourself. I put this up as a guide and information only.

Your on your own, don't blame me.............

Hope it is of some assistance

Bob

Don't forget that the WD16H has a 43t rear chainwheel rather than 42t. I have no idea what the repros are though.

Norton Owners Club Website by 2Toucans