Skip to main content
English French German Italian Spanish

1939 Model 18 forks

Forums

Hello everybody, I have been reading through some earlier conversations and someone said that 1939 models have there brakes on the right but mine has its brake on the left and I was wondering if anyone knows what year and model there off of. The serial number is 50279. I also have a spare set with number 101514 any ideas on either of these. Cheers Tim.

Tim, 1939 did indeed have unique for that year forks - brake on the right and the old style headlamp mounting system.

If you have a left hand brake, they're probably standard SV / OHV forks. With bit of luck, a mail to Chris Streather might turn up the donor machine of forks 50279 if they are in the factory ledgers. Based on the information that I have, they would date from around January / February 1938.

101514 is quite a high number and has to be wartime production - those ledgers no longer exist (and the WD contracts tended not to list those numbers anyway). In my opinion, they have to be WD16H, probably 1941 or so.

Previously wrote:

Tim, 1939 did indeed have unique for that year forks - brake on the right and the old style headlamp mounting system.

If you have a left hand brake, they're probably standard SV / OHV forks. With bit of luck, a mail to Chris Streather might turn up the donor machine of forks 50279 if they are in the factory ledgers. Based on the information that I have, they would date from around January / February 1938.

101514 is quite a high number and has to be wartime production - those ledgers no longer exist (and the WD contracts tended not to list those numbers anyway). In my opinion, they have to be WD16H, probably 1941 or so.

Thanks for that, sorry to sound stupid but who is Chris Streather and where can I find him or her ?

Cheers Tim.

Oh dear, Tim, you've done it now ! He's the NOC's esteemed Records Officer and Librarian - Details to be found on the inside front cover of 'Roadholder'...

Am I in trouble again ? Thanks Richard but I haven't received a copy yet as I've only just rejoined after many years in the wilderness. I'll just have to wait for it to turn up.Tim.

Norton Owners Club Website by 2Toucans