Skip to main content
English French German Italian Spanish

1939 ES2 exhaust

Forums

Hello there,

So as I said before I'm new to the classic scene and am finding it both frustrating and rewarding at the same time. Bikes up and running great news only to find that the exhaust has blown along the seem at the bottom. So it's chromed at present and once I find someone who could do it (which is a challenge in itself) what's the best advice re stainless route or following the traditional route ie chrome. ( someone said that today's chromeing is not as good as yesteryear and tends to flake on exhausts true or not no idea). If I go stainless I'll need the down pipe as well if not poss just the silencer. It's a 1939 ES2 with what's called cows udders for a silencer I understand. There is a pic in the members gallery if your unsure about the udders lol. I look forward to the debate

Mark

The cows udder is a rare thing, and I suspect the chances of replacing it like for like are close to zero. No chance whatsoever of choosing between stainless and chrome.I wonder how many exist? All the journo's have always been so rude about them that they've pretty much all been replaced...If it were mine I'd deny my sense of the aesthetic and try and get it refurbished!

I have never seen this exhaust for sale in any material and if you were to find a new one, I would take it in mild or stainless steel. Should you come across a supplier, I would be interested to know as this question has come up before now and we have never been able to advise on where to go for this item.

I would recommend keeping it if you can, revolting as it is although strangely charming at the same time. Rather like the reviled Commando Hi-Rider, we all need some examples out there or they will be lost forever.

Your bike might even feature Norton's other great invention for 1938/39 - the forward folding 'suicide' stand. Their designers were in a strange mood that year.

Thanks looks like I need to go find someone who's up to making a new one as it was fitted with these at the start off its life and I think that's how it should stay. On the stand issue it folds up to the front and needs a knack of doing it. Takes both hands and a foot. Ill update you once I find the right person to do the exhaust.

Some original features are perhaps best not retained - i.e. the centre stand! Add a Jubilee Clip maybe (paint it black - it'll soon be invisible in a mixture of oil and road dirt) and rely on the rear stand in future!

G'day Mark,

I've tried in vain to find a cow's udder silencer for my 38 ES2. Even a decrepid one to use as a pattern would have done me. If you do decide to have another made using yours as a pattern, it might pay to see if any others would like one also and this could help reduce costs rather than a company just making a one off. I for one will put my name down for one.

I live in Australia and one company I have read very good reports about and based here is Overlander. They specialize in stainless exhausts for vintage, classic and modern motorcycles and will make what ever you want for a price of course. http://www.dropbears.com/o/overlander/index.htm

Link to when I asked the good folks here http://www.nortonownersclub.org/noc-chat/technical1-singles-forum/100246111?b_start=0#4011073

Regards Glenn

Norton Owners Club Website by 2Toucans