Skip to main content
English French German Italian Spanish

1935 big 4 model 1 633cc side valve timing

Forums
DOES ANYONE KNOW HOW TO SET THE VALVE TIMING ON MY 1935 BIG 4, 633CC SIDE VALVE ENGINE. I HAVE RECIEVED INFO FROM A VERY KIND MEMBER ALREADY.IT STATES INLET OPENS 5/16 IN. BEFORE TDC . EX 5/16 AFTER TDC. THESE MEASUREMENTS ARE NO PROBLEM, THE ISSUE I HAVE IS / SHOULD THE INLET VALVE BE FULL OPEN OR STARTING TO OPEN, SHOULD THE EX VALVE BE FULLY OPEN WHEN SETTING OR STARTING TO OPEN ? THE POSITION OF THE VALVES DURING SET UP IS MY PROBLEM . ANY INFO WOULD BE GRATEFULLY RECIEVED . REGARDS MARTIN .

There s no need to know any technical details,set the timing to split the overlap,exhaust just closing,inlet just opening,on the non firing stroke at TDC. Both slightly open at TDC.Time your mag to fire on the next TDC at full retard,it ll start first kick, and you ll be holding up traffic again in no time.Regards John.

hi john, just got home from work and have set timing as you described,looks fine. will finish this at weekend and hopefully the bike will start. it has not run for about 40 years and was taken apart and stored . nothing was marked or stored in any order, so thank you for your help with this jigsaw. regards and thanks again ,martin .

Norton Owners Club Website by 2Toucans