Skip to main content
English French German Italian Spanish

1930 16H Valve Timing - help required

Forums

Hi All,

I just acquired a 1930 16H Norton from the UK  which must have been built  but never actually commissioned or ridden. I got it to start but noticed that blowback was tremendous and if I tried to go any further than 1/3 throttle open the engine  spluttered, blowback increased tremendously and the engine juddered, basically didn't accelerate smoothly. I checked the valve timing and found the inlet valve  to be completely out. I decided to try and reset the valves on the rock as no marks can be found on the cam wheels or the pinion, but cannot get close enough to the correct setting of  1/4" btdc open for the inlet and 1/4" atdc closes for the exhaust. If one is right the other is wrong. I've turned the pinion round in the key ways without much success. The attached photos shows what I have, are these the correct cams for the model? And does anyone have a photo of the correct cam orientation when these are timed properly please?

Many thanks,

Albert Pisani

Malta

If the engine is at tdc in the picture the inlet cam looks about right, the exhaust cam seems to be around 180 degrees out.

Norton Owners Club Website by 2Toucans