Skip to main content
English French German Italian Spanish

1929 Model 18 Oil Pump Help!

Forums

Hi,

Ive recently bought my first Norton, its a 1929 model 18 I'm I'm now well and truly obsessed with early Norton's!  Please excuse my lack of terminology - I'm in my 30s and as mentioned above this is all new to me.

Ive got an issue with the bike in that I don't think the oil pump isn't working correctly, on close inspection is seams that the worm and gear in the pump no longer touch. I assume this is due to the brass gear being worn down over time. I have attached some images and my primary questions are;

1. When new would the 'gear' be domed to follow the contours of the worm? if so does anyone know why they would no longer touch and engage?

2. Assuming it is a worn gear as I expected does anyone know of an engineer who would be capable of making a new one?

Thank you so much in advance for any help!

Regards,

Adam

Morning Adam

What is the tooth count and the diameter of the bronze wheel? Have you measured the backlash between the drive worm and the wheel? (how much does the wheel rotate when the worm is held still?) If i can't make one, i know a man who can 

I'm not familiar with the early singles and the best and lloyd pump system but i have a friend who is into early bikes in a big way, i will pick his brains to see what he knows. I bought three replica Best and Lloyd hand pumps off him that he had made, beautiful jobs they are too. 

Thanks so much Peter, I think I've now sorted this... Someone has kindly offered to sell me a matching complete pump so I can just determine the issue and swap parts where necessary.

Your friends work on the hand pumps looks incredible! 

All the best and thanks again,

Adam

Norton Owners Club Website by 2Toucans