Skip to main content
English French German Italian Spanish

1929 Big 4

Forums

Did a 1929 Big 4 have a speedo in the tank?

Did it have a pastry crust edged tank.

Robert,

Perhaps the following information confuses rather than helps, but here we go ....

The Norton 1929 catalogue shows pie crust tanks on the ES2, Model 19 and CS1. The drawings of the Model 18, 16H and Big 4 do not show a pie crust. It looks as if the same tank was supplied on all the models for the year although the CS1 tank may be slightly different at the front.

The problem is that we know there have always been differences between the drawn images in the catalogues and what the factory actually produced. This went on even as late as the F1 where there is a frequently used image with details that never appeared on any machine that was built. It seems unlikely however that the techniques of the day requiring a pie crust would be used on tanks for some models and not on others.

For 1930, all the pie crusts have disppeared from the drawings but I am sure this construction went on well after that date, so this backs up my point above.

The general pages of the 1929 catalogue most definitely list a speedometer in tank option (see attachment) and this was presumably available on all models for the year.

Attachments 1929_speedometer.jpg

Thanks Chris that answers my question. I am looking at one and was unsure if it was correct. I am happy all is ok.

Norton Owners Club Website by 2Toucans