Skip to main content
English French German Italian Spanish

1928 CS1 Special

Forums

Hi guys, I'm new to the forum and will be posting process as I proceed with a cs1 build... I'm in my 30s and now have a few early Nortons with a cs1 project being the latest! 

The bike was regularly raced in the 50s and full of patina which I intend to preserve, I have pictures of the bike being raced back in the day and intend for it to retain all its character! 

I will get loads of pics up but for the moment does anyone know anyone in Devon that might be able to help with an engine build? I have everything ready to go and just need someone to assemble... Ideally with me watching as I'm desperate to learn!!

Thanks in advance.

Adam

I think your man is Stu Rogers, but he’s in Norfolk. you could also have a word  with Andy Savage who’s down your way.

There are a few fixtures and jigs that aid a quality build and as Dan says Stu and Andy are well versed in cammy Norton work.  

You should enquire with them to see if you can go with your motor and rebuild it over a few days with them.  I remember George Cohen staying with Stu for a couple of weeks, sleeping in the workshop! The knowledge they have is priceless, don’t expect it cheaply.

J

Thanks so much guys, I'll try and make contact with them. Just so I have a rough idea of price... Are we talking a few days at say £50 an hour? Or am I miles out!

Photos of the bike as it was and in action! (Number 18 and 28)Cs1

Thanks for the advice - the engine is now with Stu Rogers who seems like a lovely chap and certainly knows his stuff.

Hi Adam,

This is not much help, but it jogged my memory as 50 years ago I swapped a 3 stay CS1 frame with Stu Rogers for a few Inter spares. Every time I see a Moore CS1 I kick myself for being an idiot and not doing anything with it. Mind you, I was only 19 at the time and didn't know my a**e from my elbow !!

Hi Adam,

I meet Stu, by phone and email a couple of times, he is really nice and very helpful. I am building a CS1 at present, and have just finished the engine rebuild. I brought the bike in box's from a very nice gentleman in Devon Ian Loram.  Ian uses a an engineer close to him, but he is in the Devon area. Ian a member so maybe worth reaching out.

I have a spare engine, but i am missing a number of parts, the part i really need is the oil pump, i have lots of bits for CS1 [Moore Model] so let me know if you need anything. If you do come across an oil pump please get in touch!.

Good luck with the build, and keep us all posted on progress.

Regards

Steve

Norton Owners Club Website by 2Toucans