Went out to the garage in the dark, touched the bike ,huge static spark 1" long lit up the place. Don't play with petrol in the garage!!.
Thinking of the dangers of handling highly flammable liquids, it's surprisingly rare that accidents happens. I've seen at Goodwood, which has strict rules on filling the racecars, they clamp a ground cable to the car before filling it up. Thus releasing any static charge.
With more silicon being used in tyres now some manufacturers put an earthing strip in their tyres.
It's worth finding out why it happened Robert!
Were you wearing rubber shoes and nylon long johns, and the bike was simply the first earthed item you touched ?
Dressing gown and slippers on my way to the freezer!, but I had just realised I had put my dressing gown on inside out (sleepy joe) and turned it round,may have some bearing. There has been many petrol fires in garages without any obvious ignition source and static has been blamed. Best to do such work outside and know where the fire extinguisher is. I have had 3/4 fuel fires outside over the years and managed to put them out , but best to be prepared.