Skip to main content
English French German Italian Spanish

Worth Saving? Rear Brake Sprocket 88/99/650ss

Forums

Hello.  

I’m in the strip down and assessment phase and have so far discovered that my bike is an early 650ss engine in a 1966 88 Chassis with a 99 barrel. The bike was assembled by someone with zero mechanical aptitude.   

Case in point. Rear wheel was not spinning so a strip down revealed the wheel had not been assembled properly and the rear sprocket studs are badly damaged. The teeth and the rest of the sprocket looks ok. For context - the bike has stood for 35 years. The chain is congealed and stiff. Front sprocket looks good.   

Is this worth saving and if so how can I reclaim the threads on the studs? The sprocket is almost bronze in colour - is that normal??  many thanks 

Kit 

That's such a shame as the teeth and drum look in great condition. All is not lost though, as all the studs do is hold the sprocket to the wheel and provide the means of transmitting power and brake force to the wheel.

The wheel spindle keeps everything together/in line.

What can be done? Firstly bin rhe old nuts. If the stud is like that, the nuts surely can't be any better. Next, use a thread file to dress off the worst damage, then run a new nut down each stud and assess the fit. At this point you will know whether it can be re used or not, and hopefully it will be OK.

Good luck, 

George 

Like you say - the sprocket looks good. I’ll get some new nuts and a thread file and see where that gets me. 

Looks ok to me , the mess on the studs will likely peel off as its from the nuts which were of the wrong thread form .  There are 2 types of thread  , if necessary you could run a thread die down the studs to clean up . How many teeth on the sprocket ,42 or 43 ?. Threads will be 20 tpi or 26 ,you need the right ones , count the no of threads per inch on the studs. 

One solution could be to drill out the duff studs right through with a tapping size drill and to then tap the correct thread pitch/form to that which can be seen un used at the base.

Hi Paul, I have bad memories of changing the studs ! .The new ones persisted in coming loose even after being heavily peened .  I would stay with whats there if possible .You cannot just order new nuts for a 66 bike , you need to check what you have.

The threads between early commando and 1960s sprocket retaining sleeve nuts are of course different. So perhaps, that is the reason for the stripped nuts. So be careful, do you have a genuine 1960s sprocket or an early Commando one? If the thread re-rolling tool is not available then careful use of the correct die should clean up the threads, but the picture shows a lot of thread swarf that should come away. Just remember that thread files remove metal. (so do dies).

The NOC Shop stocks new stepped studs, so you should be able to replace the damaged ones.

... fiting new studs to a Domi hub many years ago. The business ends were serrated.

Ah that might explain some issues. The new nuts don’t catch on the studs and the damage seems pretty bad. I’ll try to use the correct die and chase out the thread but nothing on this bike is correct so I may have to accept that it’s not repairable.   

Were Commando hubs smaller? My new brake pads don’t want to fit the hub at all!   

Thanks for all the help. It’s keeping me sane-ish

Hi Kit,  From your replies its not clear that you have worked out how the best way  to proceed. Firstly there is absolutely  100% no need to replace the studs . They will easily clean up with a matching  thread die and then a set of new bolts Of the same thread type  will make all perfect. The issue is   What do you have? There are 2 types that superficially look the same and you need to accertain what thread type you have . Replacing the studs is not an easy option for you at all. I would buy one new stud of a known thread type and compare with what you have. That will tell you what you have, You can then order a die and holder plus the new correct nuts for your studs  Its also  likely they will not be the correct type for your bike !  But that will not matter as you will know whats needed in the future. Of course you could just order a new drum and nuts that are correct for your bike . Expensive !.

I’ve done most of what you suggest above. I’m happy it’s an 7/16 x 26 tpi thread and once I have the right die I’ll chase out the studs. The new nuts don’t have the oomph or purchase. Slowly slowly catchee monkey. 

I found this 'Dommie' issue many years ago. Dommie sprocket on the bike, wanted a new one bought an early Commando one in error. Nuts do not work, bought Commando nuts. So I now have a set of both nuts so I can use either sprocket. An obvious thing to say, but the nuts should spin up by fingers all the way before fitting the sprocket. DO NOT be heavy with the spanners, but we all know that-don't we?

Norton Owners Club Website by 2Toucans