Skip to main content
English French German Italian Spanish

SMOKEY 1930 16H NORTON

Forums

Hi All,

I seem to have a problem with the oiling system on my 1930 16H. The motorcycle runs a total loss lubrication system but try as I may I just cannot get rid of the smokey exhaust. If I drain the crankcase from the oil it has inside it and ride the bike with the pump a quarter open, the smoke disappears but the engine will seize after the first couple of miles. Increasing the pump setting to half open doesn't really make a difference either, it will still seize.

On the other hand, if I pour around a spoonful of oil into the crankcase and set the pump to quarter turn on, then I can ride all day without any engine seizure but with the thick white smoke screen following me. 

Don't quite understand what is going on, is this situation due to a worn pump or is it maybe the oil I am using? (currently an SAE 20/50 multigrade).

Any help would be very much appreciated.

Thanks,

Albert

Multistage is not suitable.  Even a modern shear stable multigrade might well break down and end up as a 20 grade when you need 50 or possibly 40 grade.

Do you still have good compression? The seizures may have caused a piston ring to stick in the groove, allowing oil to reach the combustion chamber.

You could try a monograde 50, but my flat tank Triumph runs well on 20/50. In a total loss lubrication system the oil doesn't stay in the engine for any length of time so I don't believe that degradation will be an issue.

Hello Ian,

Back on the rock now and the motorcycles should arrive tomorrow.

I changed to a monograde 40 prior to departing for the National and this seems to have made the difference and stopped the excessively smokey exhaust I was experiencing whilst using the 20/50 multigrade. Could well be that the oil pump is worn and so allows too much of the thinner oil at whatever  setting. Be that as it may, as you may know, I suffered a total loss of compression on the first day return ride home on the National which resulted from a high build up of carbon under the exhaust valve. We solved the problem and I carried on with the rally but the sudden build up was probably due to the over oiling.

As you predicted the oil scrapper ring was found broken when I lifted the barrel and had to be removed, but the engine ran well without it and with no adverse effect on both the smokeyness of the exhaust  or the compression!

I am on the look out for a new piston though or at least new rings but have no idea where to get either from.

Best regards and thanks,

Albert

My run home will have been a bit quicker than yours. Good talking with you in Kenmare. It might be worth contacting John Harding (advertises in OBM) about pistons and/or rings for your 16H.

Cheers, Ian McD

You can't drain the oil out of a wet sump engine. It should always have around 160 to 200ml of oil in the sump. ( some suggest 250ml). Your pump is there just to maintain this level. That may mean setting your pump on around 1/3 and doing trial runs and careful empty and re measure tests.

Without oil being picked up by the crank your engine will suffer severe damage.

You MUST remember that it wasn't until 1931 when the 16H started getting oil feed through the crank and to the big end. In 1930 the oil just dribbles into the timing chest lubricating the cams and followers before ending in the sump. The sump MUST always have some oil in it. I'd start with 200ml measured carefully and poured in through the breather connection.

Norton Owners Club Website by 2Toucans