Skip to main content
English French German Italian Spanish

Smiths S.467/7/L vs S.433/7/L

Forums

Folks, I was looking an original speedometer (S.467/7/L, 180 KMH) for my '53 Dommie.

I found an old stock S.433/7/L.

Anyone know the differences between the two?

I can use the 433 without any issue? 

If it looks good I would use it.  Its going to give an innacurate  reading but this is adjustable when you have it serviced.

Make sure the 4-digit number, usually at the bottom of the dial (wheel revolutions per mile, something like 1548, 1600,…) is the same or at least very close. It determines the odometer reading and cannot be adjusted easily. The reading of the pointer can be corrected by adding and reducing little weight washers to the balance wheel if needed, which are easily got on ebay.

it can be adjusted to suit the drive ratio of your bike.  If I remember correctly the Dominator has a 2:1 drive off the back wheel, which is fairly common, so you may strike it lucky.

A properly equipped servicing expert will have a selection of input gears.  I once did a trade with such an expert, two carburetors to fit his Vincent for a pair of clocks for my Super Rocket.  The tacho drive is off the oil pump so the drive had to be reverse rotation, 3:1.  The speedo was an odd ratio - 'difficult, but possible'.  I got my two clocks to fit the bike....

I believe that a 433 chronometric has the trip reset coming out of the side of the case toward the rider, whereas the 467 has the trip reset coming out of the back of the case toward the front wheel so that you can reach it under the dash plate on your Dommie.

@Holger: the speedometer dont have any additional numbers below the dial, I attach a picture to explain

@Paul: thanks to highlight the possible strange behaviour may happen.

Still remain my curiosity to understand the Smiths codes. I dont know if any Smiths service expert read my post...

At this point I found, after the speedo code itself, the number may be from 1 (80 mph), 3 (120 mph) or 5 (140 khm), 7 (180 khm).

@Howard: maybe you are right. As I was not sure which code identify the trip reset lateral or vertical.

On the underside there are the fittings for the speedo cable and for the globe assembly to illuminate the dial.  Undo the knurled nut to fit the connecting wiring cable.

The side pin is to fit the missing trip meter reset knob

Norton Owners Club Website by 2Toucans