Skip to main content
English French German Italian Spanish

Seeking frame alignment specs for 1952 Inter

Forums

Greetings All...

I am seeking some measurement points for aligning a 1952 Garden Gate frame....can't seem to get wheels, or chains in proper relationship, and the frame shows signs of several repairs made over the decades, so it's safe to say there is strong potential for a frame issue!

Is there a source of information on these frames that might help?

Regards,

John Edwards

Medina, Texas

I would find somebody with an engineering surface table to use as a horizontal datum. You can then position the frame on it's side supported at the steering head with a bar through the bearings. Calculate the centre height of the bar from the table, this is your frame centre line reference. Measure the gap between the rear wheel spindle/hub assembly frame brackets. Then jack up the frame so the centre point between the brackets is the same height as the frame centre line reference. A suitable bar inserted through the rear wheel spindle frame slots and secured in the forward position against the slot ends should be perpendicular to the table.

Simon,Thank you for your response to my request.You have given me the insight as to how I could approch this; I will be working off a cement garage floor however, as a more suitable surface plate is not readily available.It seems that every one of the garden gate frames I have seen or have seen pictures of, has been broken in multiple locations. Getting these things tweeked back into some sort of acceptable alignment must have been a common problem.Thanks again,JDE

Hi John, no problem. Using a surface table and suitable gauges tolerances are down to 0.001", obviously your cement floor wont be as accurate but it will give you an idea of how much misalignment you're dealing with, hope you get it sorted, Simon.

Norton Owners Club Website by 2Toucans