Skip to main content
English French German Italian Spanish

RGM 1975 Norton MK III 850 electric start

Forums

I purchased 2 RGM belt drive kits for 2 X 1975 Norton MK III 850 electric start . The top of the belt is rubbing the starter sprocket on both bikes and cannot be adjusted to prevent this. We are a classic motorcycle restoration shop and very experienced with Nortons but the first with a primary belt drive for this model. RGM is not responding to several requests for assistance. We can see how the belt drives would be OK for non electric start, but they simply do not fit 1975 Norton MK III 850 electric start without this rubbing taking place. The crankshaft and gearbox output shaft orientation cannot be changed to enable the belt to be guided off the starter sprocket as both engine and gearbox are fixed between the same 2 mounting plates. Does anyone know of a fix for this without fitting an additional ( and expensive) guide to the clutch basket or the crank drive sprocket? I can send pictures if the explanation doesn't suffice Thanks K

RGM do 2 MK3 Starter belt drive kits, one for when the starter is not fitted and the second where the starter is fitted which has a special tensioner included. Have you ordered the wrong kit or been supplied the wrong kit.

I presume the belt can run in oil. I can not see from the RGM site how their tensioner works. I considered a belt but decided to stick to chain after reading various horror stories. The thought of the starter drive gear seizing on the crank shaft put me off.

Have to agree with you, I replaced the original Renold triplex chain just a few years ago and I can't see any oil leaks either.

Am I right in thinking that belt drives are the latest fashion statement?

I have only ever had one primary chain break, that was on my 16 H and fixed at the roadside. I have, on the other hand seen a few broken belts, leaving riders stranded. Not all Norton's, thankfully.

Hardly a fashion statement when its hidden! Mine went in when the chain and both sprockets were so worn and pointed they were lethal weapons. Yes I have broken a belt but with the abuse it had it was my fault. The rotating weight loss and chance to lose a leakage outlet was also attractive. Leaks were not bad but still.....

Previously K Glassborow wrote:

Hardly a fashion statement when its hidden! Mine went in when the chain and both sprockets were so worn and pointed they were lethal weapons. Yes I have broken a belt but with the abuse it had it was my fault. The rotating weight loss and chance to lose a leakage outlet was also attractive. Leaks were not bad but still.....

Your bike looks very nice. If I am not mistaken yours is kick start with the single bolt primary. The point I was trying to make was that on the ES MK 3 model the starter system needs oil if it is to be retained.

Previously christopher_winsby wrote:

Previously K Glassborow wrote:

Your bike looks very nice. If I am not mistaken yours is kick start with the single bolt primary. The point I was trying to make was that on the ES MK 3 model the starter system needs oil if it is to be retained.

Ha ha, I agree. It wasn't yr comment I was referring to thoughLaughing.

Fashion statement might not have been the correct term, I'll change it to craze. (The latest must have) Actually most belts are on show because run dry; they need ventilation.

Anyway, Peace on Earth, good will to all Norton owners...Cool

Norton Owners Club Website by 2Toucans