Skip to main content
English French German Italian Spanish

Re: electrical switch query 99 dominator 1957

Forums

hi please can anyone identify this electrica switch in headlamp, we need to order one as we think is faulty. part numbers , and where to order?

Attachments headlight-1-jpg

The headlamp shell is of the type fitted to the coil ignition bikes and it could be that you have anytype of switch inside. A photo of whats there will tell more. Its more relevant to tell us about the rest of the system so we can help sort it out.

Your headlamp is the correct one for a 57.The switch is a 41SA ,lots of different suppliers on Ebay average price around £20.

The headlamp shell is from a later bike and looks very similar. It is a different pressing,but can (and has been ) made to work. We presume (but don't Know) that the bike is fitted with a mag and dynamo. If that is the case then the 41SA is right.

Previously robert_tuck wrote:

The headlamp shell is from a later bike and looks very similar. It is a different pressing,but can (and has been ) made to work. We presume (but don't Know) that the bike is fitted with a mag and dynamo. If that is the case then the 41SA is right.

Thank you all for the advice, yes this bike is mag dyno, I have taken your advice and ordered 41SA this morning, approx 20 pounds including shipping. Maybe pushing my luck now but does anyone have wiring info for this particular switch? The existing may be incorrectly wired, when we connected new battery it blew fuse immediately but bike does run. What does this switch do? Is it just headlight on and high beam?

Thanks Chris , this is really helpful, I did buy a couple of Norton books but that actual wiring wasn't included. Brilliant thank you. Hopefully we can get it sorted very soon!

Another confusion, I just shared this with my dad, bike has 12 volt battery, he belives is alternator (behind front sprocket) bike has rectifier and magneto. Help?

Hi William. This is why on my first reply to your question I said that a photo of the switch (from inside the headlamp) would be helpfull. It could be that you have a PRS8 switch in there or another non coil ignition type switch, anyway its more about Knowing what charging and ignition system you have so we can advise you on the best (and easiest !) way to go. It might be better if you tell us exactly what is the problem you are having as the switches are usually the least likely thing to go wrong!!. As the bike has been converted to 12v its even possible that it has been changed to negative earth ( although its not necessary) . Best ask Dad. It will be possible to find out from the type of rectifier fitted as they are polarity sensitive. . It may also be that a later engine has been fitted as the dynamo type crank cannot be fitted with an alternator.This is all part of the fun ,finding out whats what!!.

Norton Owners Club Website by 2Toucans