Skip to main content
English French German Italian Spanish

Re: 1938 Manx GP rear mudguard

Forums

I'm racing my 1938 40M from time to time here in Belgium on those great road circuits like Chimay and Gedinne, and this implies sitting quite extensively on the pillion seat. Now I weigh 90kg and this caused the rear mudguard to become tired (of me I guess). It is cracked at the level of the fixation points and I need to replace it as it will collapse soon. Combination of high load (me) vibrations (40M) and resulting fatigue fracture I guess.

The problem is that I do not find the right one.

The mudguard is made from thin aluminum, with in the edges on both sides a bead of steel wire which is wrapped in the alloy sheet that forms the mudguard. On the inside and over its full length there is a 1" wide iron sheet strengthening rit all, and which is fixed to the alloy guard by several rivets.

I believe the one I have is original but I cannot find any one who can supply an identical one. I could replace it by a steel guard, with the advantage it is stronger but again it would not match the specs of the bike when it was build back in the thirties.And this is what I'm aiming for: keep is as close as possible to origin.

I have attached a picture.

Attachments manx-gp-png

Norton Owners Club Website by 2Toucans