Skip to main content
English French German Italian Spanish

Pillion pegs issues on my 1951 ES2

Forums

My 51 ES2 is missing the right side pillion peg mounting lug; called the "B4/686 Frame pillion footrest lug". See page 69 of the Norton Spare Parts List, bottom of Plate Y.

I have been hunting for this lug but realize that unless I find an ruined frame and rob it for this one lug...I will have to take off the existing left side lug and fabricate a replica.

In the meantime, I ordered new footrests and rubbers from the NOC but they are quite different from my remaining original; see photos. They have the same threaded hole on the left side, but they are 1" instead of 3/4 centers and the internal diameter is VERY different. As if it was meant to fit a much wider lug.

So...am I missing something ? Is there an earlier and a later period foot rest ? or is my existing left side foot rest NOT a real Norton footrest ? It had an ancient John Bull rubber on it but I did not expect the metal part to be wrong. I can cut and bend down my new foot rest to fit but that will be a fair amount of drilling and blasting...perhaps there already exists the correct sized part ??

Can anybody enlighten me ?

and (grasping at straws here)...does anybody out there know where I might find one footrest mounting lug.

Grant MacNeill, Toronto

Attachments IMG_3240.0.JPG IMG_3243.JPG technical

Hi Grant. I have a 52 ES2 with original rear rests and are identical to your first image, 3/4 inch wide lug. Depending on your desire for originality, two spacers could be made up to keep the new part central. John

John, Thanks for confirming that my one remaining lug is original and correct. If by some miracle I find old pegs that are 3/4 spaced then sobeit but I think I'l take your advice and make up spacers to fit the new pegs.

Easily enough done but I'm also faced with making up a replica lug for the other side which will be a bit of a chore. A recent ES2 "chopped" plunger frame on eBay went for $350 plus shipping which is more than I'm willing to pay for the one lug ! (grin).

Thanks, Grant in Toronto

Update on my search for one pillion footpeg mounting lug

I've now got a better diagram of the part: # 45 in the attached photo.

If anybody in the Norton community knows how I can get one or have one made for me, please advise

thanks again, Grant MacNeill, Toronto

Attachments img_3349-jpg

Holy Moly Dave ! Thanks !

I watch eBay like a hawk but I missed those.

Those are definitely the lugs I'm searching for.

Grant

Norton Owners Club Website by 2Toucans