Skip to main content
English French German Italian Spanish

Paint schemes for standard 1962 Navigator

Forums

Can anyone please advise what the available paint schemes were for the above machine or was it just Polychromatic Blue.

Thanks.

Hi, in Roy Bacons book Norton Twin Restoration on page 223 it says 1962 Navigator standard as "blue and dove gray". For 1963 it says "blue and dove grey or polychromatic blue petrol tank,oil tank, mudguard and toolbox lid with remainder black".

Hope this helps.

Hi Jeff - Andy S here....

Your 1962 Navigator was in 2 tone Blue & dovegrey. (There used to be a picture of my one on the old website - wonder where its got to...)

Blue = Ever Ready battery Blue = Ford Fjord Blue

DoveGrey = British Leyland Arabian Grey

Polychromatic Blue (with Black frame) was used on 1963-on bikes built in the AJS & Matchless factory

Previously wrote:

hi jeff if need polychomatic blue I have paint codes As I have Norton Manxman yours anna j dixon

Hi Anna,

Sorry it's been a while since I last looked at these pages...

Iv'e had my Navigator for about five years now and started work feverishly in the early days, only to neglect it due to other more pressing jobs like decorating etc.

But now, this year I am back again and really want to crack on with it. So I'm again back trying to establish exactly what would have been blue on the bike, I know the tanks and battery box would have been but am unsure about the mudguards. My bike was one of the first off the production line at the Matchless factory in Plumstead in London in 1963 so would definately be Polychromatic Blue.

I went to Stafford this year and came across "R S Paint" stand, they claim to be able to supply paint going back for ever, and told me that Polychromatic blue was listed in their books as being on a1960 Manx, so that fits with your comments.

I have followed other threads on this paint on this forum and am slightly confused which ofthe following is correct please...

Polychromatic Blue= Lotus metallic blue, = ICI paint code P421/7750 = Lotus paint code A68

Polychromatic Blue= ICI code P031/4863

Many thanks.

Jeff.

Previously wrote:

hi jeff if need polychomatic blue I have paint codes As I have Norton Manxman yours anna j dixon

Hi again, sorry,

Just a thought, you being a Dixon and all that...

I have a Barrie Dixon living near me in Somerset - he has several old bikes, would you be related?

Jeff.

I know this is very much later on in the thread. But just to let you all know. The bike is now painted Polychromatic Blue, (correct for 1963 Navigator off the Plumstead line)

Sorry, I know I said in earlier post that my bike was 1962 - but it is actually 1963.

The pant came from www.rsbikepaint.com If you put your make and model in the search then it comes up.

Jeff.

Previously wrote:

Previously wrote:

Hi Anna,

Sorry it's been a while since I last looked at these pages...

Iv'e had my Navigator for about five years now and started work feverishly in the early days, only to neglect it due to other more pressing jobs like decorating etc.

But now, this year I am back again and really want to crack on with it. So I'm again back trying to establish exactly what would have been blue on the bike, I know the tanks and battery box would have been but am unsure about the mudguards. My bike was one of the first off the production line at the Matchless factory in Plumstead in London in 1963 so would definately be Polychromatic Blue.

I went to Stafford this year and came across "R S Paint" stand, they claim to be able to supply paint going back for ever, and told me that Polychromatic blue was listed in their books as being on a1960 Manx, so that fits with your comments.

I have followed other threads on this paint on this forum and am slightly confused which ofthe following is correct please...

Polychromatic Blue= Lotus metallic blue, = ICI paint code P421/7750 = Lotus paint code A68

Polychromatic Blue= ICI code P031/4863

Many thanks.

Jeff.

hello jeff do not forget to spray gold base coat before the top coat of poly blue spary it in thin coats and do not try get it too thick , and the same with the laquaer thin coats ? hope this helps .anna J

Norton Owners Club Website by 2Toucans