Skip to main content
English French German Italian Spanish

Ordering a 961 CafÃ? Racer in the U.S.

Greetings from sunny Florida,

I visited the new Norton factory during a recent visit home to Blighty and definitely am intending to place a deposit down on a new black/gold cafe racer, just as soon as these become available over here in the colonies. However, the importer now informs me that I cannot put down a deposit, until they have appointed a local dealer for this area! This is sooo frustrating...

Ride safely,Dr. Zip.>>>--->

Dr. Zip:

I do not know where you live but there is a distributor appointed for California.

Maybe he will take your money. You might have to wait some extra time until the 961 model gets CARB approval in CA. I think that either Norton is waiting until they get the CA CARB approval or they are holding off on getting the certification because they cannot keep up with the orders they have in the UK and Europe.

Mike

Dear Mike,

I am living in Miami, southern Florida and we currently have no local dealer down here yet, alas.

Indeed, the factory told me much the same thing, during our visit and I got the distinct impression that they rather would not have to supply them over here at all, if they had a choice...

Dr. Zip.

Guys ...

If I was trying to get Norton Motorcycles up and running in the USA I would be making absolutely sure that any early teething troubles are well and truly ironed out as any early problems could damage the small green shoots before they have properly got going. I would concentrate on the UK and then the European market first. This would also give time for the multitude of regulations to be complied with.

I am sure Norton Motorcycles will be very enthusiastic to get into thelucrativeAmerican market but to do so when not fully ready would be folly.

I have no idea how the regulatory testing is going but I know it is a very expensive process and can suck a vast amount of resource.

They will get there eventually and you will find them a great ride, I do not own one (Yet) but have ridden a couple.

Tony

There are not many tech questions on the 961 yet so anything related to it is of interest to me. I have a 961 Sport and would not hesitate to update to another New Norton in future.

I'm quite sure Norton would love to supply the US market but in their current state just can't manage thiseffectively. This market , which was always key for the British m/cycle industry , demands reliable ,large volume deliveries -something Norton themselves surely know all too well.

In the past three years since the first bikes rolled out of theworks in 2009 I'd be surprised if they've managed much more than 2,000 machines total , if that. Perhaps someone has further insight on total production numbers to date. Certainly my own 22 month wait with similar stories from other new owners tells the story.

The oddsecond hand bikes that come on the market are always priced at least a couple of thousand pounds more than new machines which also paints its own picture.

Previously wrote:

Back to the original post subject matter , I'm quite sure Norton would love to supply the US market but in their current state just can't manage thiseffectively. This market , which was always key for the British m/cycle industry , demands reliable ,large volume deliveries -something Norton themselves surely know all too well.

In the past three years since the first bikes rolled out of theworks in 2009 I'd be surprised if they've managed much more than 2,000 machines total , if that. Perhaps someone has further insight on total production numbers to date. Certainly my own 22 month wait with similar stories from other new owners tells the story.

The oddsecond hand bikes that come on the market are always priced at least a couple of thousand pounds more than new machines which also paints its own picture.

James, knock one ofthe zero's of your estimate and you will be in the ball park, definately in the hundreds not thousands.

Colin

Hi everybody, my first time here. As someone based in Britain can I say I am pleased to see you guys want the new 961 Commando, and I hope you are able to get them soon on your side of the Atlantic.

Keep Nortoning and good luck with getting your new 961's.

Y'all have a great day.

Just got word here (USA) that the Nortons are coming and they are accepting deposits now. I'm sending my deposit for a 961 Commando Sport (black, of course!) They are saying we can expect delivery March - May of 2013. My big question is, how satisfied are my British brothers and sisters who have purchased the new 961 Commando? There have to be several hundred of you out there who can shed some light on what the ownership experience has been like, so far. Can we hear from you? Or, is there a better place on the net to pose this question?

If I was in the UK and had been waiting for 1.5-2 years after paying for the bike up front, I would be mightily P.O.d if I heard that Norton was shipping bikes to the US or anywhere else for that matter.

Previously wrote:

Previously wrote:

Just got word here (USA) that the Nortons are coming and they are accepting deposits now. I'm sending my deposit for a 961 Commando Sport (black, of course!) They are saying we can expect delivery March - May of 2013. My big question is, how satisfied are my British brothers and sisters who have purchased the new 961 Commando? There have to be several hundred of you out there who can shed some light on what the ownership experience has been like, so far. Can we hear from you? Or, is there a better place on the net to pose this question?

Hi I wrote a small and rather useless article in road Holder, which got told my side of ownership.

I have enjoyed owning my 961 Sport for the last 2 years (5,000 miles). I didn't experience any of the problems getting used to it that Roger mentioned. I found it easy to get on with straight away but I have owned many big twins modern and classic. I also have a 1975 Commando 850 and the 961 is a lot easier to ride than that with loads more power and brakes that work properly (as you would expect from modern Brembo's) However I did have a few teething problems in the first 1000 miles but these were minor and sorted immeadiately by the Donnington factory. They came the next day after I reported the problems and collected my bike and rectified the problems and returned the bike within a few days. Following the repair/updates I have had no problems and the bike is a joy to ride and own. I have no intention to sell it unless Norton bring out another model that takes my fancy.

Cheers, John Mc

Previously wrote:

Previously wrote:

Hi I wrote a small and rather useless article in road Holder, which got told my side of ownership.

This is the copy I submitted, the final printed article appeared almost word for word.

Norton 961 first impressions

The dream of owning a Norton 961 finally materialised for me a few weeks ago. Arriving without registration docs or tax disc made for an interesting few days involving looking at, sitting on and all the things one can do with a bike without actually starting it.

So whatâs it like? Starting with the build quality. It is everything I had expecting from Norton; Hand built, attention to detail and beautifully crafted componentry. I tentatively start it up (I had sold my previous ride, a Vespa some months before, and my project bike, a â53 Enfield had only been ridden once in the last 12 months due to a complete rebuild after passing the MOT.) I was rusty, nervous and very protective.

The first ride was 6 miles around âthe blockâ. I stalled 4 times, failed to engage the correct gears, could not get it to idle, etc. etc. Needless to say, I was very glad to get home in one piece. I wondered what had just happened during the last few minutes.

A new bike requiring running in â Yes,

Trying to ride to the running in guide â Yes,

Not appreciating the tall first gear â Yes

Bike lean fuelling issues on tip out (throttle off) â Very possibly.

The next 30 miles the following day were remarkably wonderful however. I had got to grips with the gear ratios, and also realised that dragging the rear brake wasnât helping matters either (I will be adjusting this a few degrees further round).The bike seemed less responsive than I thought it would low down in the revs, on part throttle, this I now find as reassuring. As heading off down the road at break neck speed on a new bike with new tyres was my biggest fear.I have now covered 120 miles, and under the suggestion of Norton, I am driving less conservatively. Still staying away from full throttle and high loads, but am using far more of the rev range. The bike now starts to perform and growl and generally rides much better.The reason I chose a Norton 961 was, in the words of a colleague âitâs not a Hondaâ, (*Other Japanese bike manufacturers are available!)Do I love the uniqueness, the quirkiness, the things I need to know in order to coax the bike along smoothly. Absolutely. The look, the sound, the feel. Absolutely.Would I swap if for a Honda? Not in this lifetime.

Previously wrote:

Had my 961 Sport delivered end July '12 and only covered 800 miles before the weather turned. The bike is a chore to run in if you stick to the 3,000 rpm max revs, but once you've had the 1st service and engine re map at 500 miles the bike is a revelation, it's fabulous fun to ride on tight twisty roads! I had the long loud cans fitted at 500 miles and the sound now matches the looks.

In my garage I have a Honda CBR1100XX for taking the Mrs out for runs, a Ducati 1098 for my selfish solo fun and the Norton 961 that I had to buy after being spellbound by Kenny Dreer's first builds all those years ago. I've owned the 1098 from new (5yrs) and it's the most incredible bike I've ever ridden, I figured I'd own it for ever but since the 961 arrived I've only used it once. I have now put it for sale with the local Ducati dealers, that's the amount of fun I get from my 961 :)

Previously wrote:

Hello Jim

Had my 961CR sinceJuly2011, soon clocked up those early running in miles, what a yawn that was, but since then it has been a pleasure to own and ride, no issues , bad year last year for clocking miles due to one thing and another. like other threads I too own a Ducati, A S4 Fogarty only 300 worldwide, but the Norton gets far more attention than the Duke, it gets a pain when I stop as I get all sorts of people asking me questions which is really nice but can get a bit of a chore.Have altered a few things to make it MY NORTON like CRG levers and CRG hindsite bar end mirror BST Carbon Wheels and a carbonfibre chain guard.Have also fitted tank protector so that beautiful sculptured tankdoesn'tget marked. I hope all goes well for you and your bike arrives and you get the same amount of pleasure as I have.

Keep Smiling

Thanks so much to those of you who responded regarding your ownership experience with the 961 Commando. I'm 64 years old so have been paring down my bikes because it's a bit silly to have more than I can really put to good use. Just went from 5 to 3 and plan on keeping it at 3 so I'll have to get rid of my Honda XR650R Motard to create an open slot for the Norton. (I'll miss the Honda, it's a hoot on small back roads and only weighs 288 lbs. (about 20 stone or 130 Kg) I'm not a collector although if I had Jay Leno's money, I'm sure I would be! Anyway, I've owned mostly BMWs and Harleys (I know, I know) over the past 50 years with an occasional Honda or Suzuki, mostly for off-road riding as well as Husqvarna, KTM and ATK. (Actually, one of the sweetest bikes I ever owned was a 1998 Honda VFR 800 with gear-driven cams -- sounded like a Formula 1 engine.) I had a 92 900SS Ducati for about six years. Great little bike and awesome sound. Never owned a British bike but enjoyed listening to the Triumph and Norton twins in the sixties. Nortons have always been pretty rare over here compared to Triumphs. Saw the Norton 961 Commando at the International Bike Show in Long Beach CA in 2011 and haven't gotten it out of my head since. I am going to order a Sport within the next week. Now I'm anguishing over solo seat or dual saddle. Dealer says they are not switchable and I think it could be fun to take some short, overnight trips on the Norton. But having seen the seat cowling on the dual saddle, I'd be afraid to bungee a duffel on the back seat for fear I'd scratch up the paintworik. Guess I'll use a back pack. So may as well go with the solo saddle -- that's the one that caught my eye to begin with. Any way, other than the Honda XR650R, I own a 2013 BMW R1200RT (superb tourer) and ... wait for it, a 2013 Harley CVO Breakout in Sunglo Red. Yes, I know it's outrageous but my God it's a fun cruiser and I've been without a Harley since 2000. Just completed five days with it on the California Coast putting 900 break-in miles on it -- I trailered it to California, it's no touring bike. I'll probably do the same thing with the Norton. Anyway, I'm really excited and sincerely appreciate the feedback from you owners!

Previously paul_baddeley wrote:

Previously wrote:

Hello Jim

Had my 961CR sinceJuly2011, soon clocked up those early running in miles, what a yawn that was, but since then it has been a pleasure to own and ride, no issues , bad year last year for clocking miles due to one thing and another. like other threads I too own a Ducati, A S4 Fogarty only 300 worldwide, but the Norton gets far more attention than the Duke, it gets a pain when I stop as I get all sorts of people asking me questions which is really nice but can get a bit of a chore.Have altered a few things to make it MY NORTON like CRG levers and CRG hindsite bar end mirror BST Carbon Wheels and a carbonfibre chain guard.Have also fitted tank protector so that beautiful sculptured tankdoesn'tget marked. I hope all goes well for you and your bike arrives and you get the same amount of pleasure as I have.

Keep Smiling

Hi Paul

What tank protector did you use, as I need one

Kindest Regards

Colin

Hello Colin

I am sorry I cant remember the company name, however I know they were from Warrington and will look out for them at the motor cycle show in a couple of weeks and will report back to you. they are a clear plastic film that fits in both knee positions on the tank and a small piece on the top where your anti wheely device, beer belly, rubs the tank.

Hello David Yes it is pre cut to the tank shape as my previous comment. Ive been racking my brain all day as to the retailer name. All the tanks on the 961s are all the same so the kit will fit all. As soon as I remember or as previously stated when I return from the bike show I will post any details.

Sorry to all for being a numpty and not keeping the paper work as I always normally do.

Hi Roger (Roger Farrow),

After recently purchasing a 2010 Norton Commando 961, I recently joined the Norton Owners Club. While trawling, the messages, I spotted your post about your experience with your new 961.

Sooooo... it seemed to me that you are the perfect person to ask a bit of advice from.

Apart from a few years on a trail bike when in my 'teens I've been a lifelong Harley Davidson rider. However, all my life, I wanted a Norton Commando and, when I saw the new Commandos modernly modelled in old style, I had to make a point of getting one as a second bike.

Now, not having ridden such a bike before, I'm hoping you (and anyone else with a mind to) can give me some pointers with regards to running her in (she's only done 657 miles... is this 'run in' or is it still being 'run in' at this mileage?), finding gears, handling, maintenance... in fact, basically anything I need to know coming from Harley to a moderrn Norton Commando. So far, I'm finding the transition quite a job... perticularly the gear changes. I've driven only less than a mile so far (not because of being frightened or anything like that, just time, work etc etc etc) but obviously need to get out more very soon in order to master the bike.

Appreciating your (and anyone else's) help.

Regards

D

PS What does "dragging the rear brake" mean (as in your post)?

Previously daniele_iannarelli wrote:

Hi Roger (Roger Farrow),

After recently purchasing a 2010 Norton Commando 961, I recently joined the Norton Owners Club. While trawling, the messages, I spotted your post about your experience with your new 961.

Sooooo... it seemed to me that you are the perfect person to ask a bit of advice from.

Apart from a few years on a trail bike when in my 'teens I've been a lifelong Harley Davidson rider. However, all my life, I wanted a Norton Commando and, when I saw the new Commandos modernly modelled in old style, I had to make a point of getting one as a second bike.

Now, not having ridden such a bike before, I'm hoping you (and anyone else with a mind to) can give me some pointers with regards to running her in (she's only done 657 miles... is this 'run in' or is it still being 'run in' at this mileage?), finding gears, handling, maintenance... in fact, basically anything I need to know coming from Harley to a moderrn Norton Commando. So far, I'm finding the transition quite a job... perticularly the gear changes. I've driven only less than a mile so far (not because of being frightened or anything like that, just time, work etc etc etc) but obviously need to get out more very soon in order to master the bike.

Regards

D

Hopefully the previous owner followed Norton's running in guidelines supplied with the bike - you can never really be sure, but by 675 miles the major maxRPM limitations should be behind you and the bike pretty much run in.

Can't recall exactly what I did with my 2012 Sport model but it was something like max 3,500 revs to 300 miles , max 4,000 revs to 500 miles , then from 500 to 1,000 miles (voluntarily) did not exceed 5,000 revs. After thisaway you go !

Thanks for that.

Re: "I stalled 4 times, failed to engage the correct gears, could not get it to idle, etc. etc. Needless to say, I was very glad to get home in one piece"

I experienced all this (except the stalling) too, just the other day.

Could you explain some of the points/issues you mentioned in your first posting...

â? tall first gear

â? Bike lean fuelling issues on tip out (throttle off)

â? I had got to grips with the gear ratios

â? dragging the rear brake wasnât helping matters

â? (I will be adjusting this a few degrees further round)

Best regards

D

Previously james_fanning wrote:

Previously daniele_iannarelli wrote:

Hi Roger (Roger Farrow),

Regards

D

Hopefully the previous owner followed Norton's running in guidelines supplied with the bike - you can never really be sure, but by 675 miles the major maxRPM limitations should be behind you and the bike pretty much run in.

Can't recall exactly what I did with my 2012 Sport model but it was something like max 3,500 revs to 300 miles , max 4,000 revs to 500 miles , then from 500 to 1,000 miles (voluntarily) did not exceed 5,000 revs. After thisaway you go !

Norton Owners Club Website by 2Toucans