Skip to main content
English French German Italian Spanish

new commando 850 need help ????

Forums

hi there new to the forum and new to this site :) . ok i bought a commando frame and casings matching from the states . it has title papers import paid etc . is there any way i can find which model the commando was ie interstate fastback roadstaer high rider //// any ideas ? thanks jim from the lake district :)

Hi, James,

you can try Andover Norton as they hold most of the records so they might be able to help as that`s where I got all my info about my MK3 850 including even the production line Number it was on and the specks.

hope that helps

Hi, James,

you can try Andover Norton as they hold most of the records so they might be able to help as that`s where I got all my info about my MK3 850 including even the production line Number it was on and the specks.

hope that helps

hello now good luck with this but I not had that much help from this club and I have been a club member since 2003 yours anna j

There were no 850 Fastbacks so you can rule that one out. As for the rest, trim on Commandos is infinitely swappable and dealers regularly did just that...It may not have left the showroom in the same style or colour that it left the factory with.

The factory record will not give you much more than the dispatch date, colour and frame number that was originally with the engine number. You should be able to find more with some searching on-line but I believe the MK3 had frame numbers from F12001 (Feb '75). Note that the actual frame number can be hard to spot but it is on the right side of the headstock. The VIN plate has the "machine number" which is the same as the engine number.

There were several significant changes to the MK3 but if you only have a pair of crankcases I am not sure how much difference this will make to your rebuild.

You problem will be NOVA, hopefully thats already been covered by whoever imported the parts but for a frame and cases that is unlikely. I brought a T120 frame and cases from the US and then had to do a retrospective NOVA 7 years later, so it can be done and thankfully the NOVA staff are more helpful than the DVLA.

Previously john_holmes wrote:

You problem will be NOVA, hopefully thats already been covered by whoever imported the parts but for a frame and cases that is unlikely. I brought a T120 frame and cases from the US and then had to do a retrospective NOVA 7 years later, so it can be done and thankfully the NOVA staff are more helpful than the DVLA.

hi john i imported or at present am importing the frame and cases .i have the original title papers with ,im not to sure were is stand to be honest there lots of info on the internet but i think i will have to contact nova to be on the safe side. 14 days i read somewere i have after i bring it home .

I did not need the title, the Nova people are only interested in confirming you have paid the VAT and import duty, so the want proof the taxes have been paid correctly, so bill of sale showing the value and docs from your freight forwarder detailing the tax paid. I paid 5% VAT by declaring the bike parts to be of historical significance.

I did not need the title, the Nova people are only interested in confirming you have paid the VAT and import duty, so the want proof the taxes have been paid correctly, so bill of sale showing the value and docs from your freight forwarder detailing the tax paid. I paid 5% VAT by declaring the bike parts to be of historical significance.

Norton Owners Club Website by 2Toucans