Skip to main content
English French German Italian Spanish

Modern carb for a 1950 International 30

Forums

Reluctantly I am considering changing the TT carb for a modern carb on my International 30 in order to give easier starting for my old legs, and of course a tickover would be a bonus.

Has anybody got experience of using a modern carb and can advise me which to use, what settings, main jet size etc. etc. I would prefer to use an Amal carb, Mk1 or 2 concentric?

Any advice would be most appreciated.

As an aside if I am also thinking about changing the silencer for a Brooklands can, only because I like the noise.

Thanks

I would go with a new monobloc. At least it won't stand out like a sore thumb. And it will work just fine jetted properly. You might even be able to stuff an air filter in there.

Mike

I agree that monoblock would be the best "modern" carb. I would also consider a Pre monoblock 289 or similar which would look the part but still have a good tickover.Perhaps substituting with a slightly smaller carb to speed airflow at small throttle openings to help starting and slow running. Phill Beresford (Burlen systems) would be the best man to advise.

On my Vincent, I have a Mk1 concentric. Works well, easy starting, good idling. Told that previous owner had the pressed in pilot bush bored a bit oversize. An advantage of the concentric is that you can have the bike leaning on the side stand and still idling. As far as I can see on the Burlen website Monoblocs are offered in 1 5/32 size which they say is correct size for your bike. In my opinion, both Monoblocks and Concentrics looks equally modern for your bike. Most important is to keep you and the bike on the road.

Mike

Hi Philip

I used a concentric on my Inter for a while when I first put it on the road and that made it very easy to use, it just looked awful (my inter is pre-war).

I would look at a pre-monobloc 289. I have run mine on one of these as well and it started, ran and ticked over well. Looks a lot better to. I now use this 289 on my ES2 and have got the correct TT carb on the Inter, I can see why you are considering changing though!

As for the Brooklands can, I have one of these on the Inter as well. It looks good but is VERY noisy, people don't like following me and even with a decent set of ear plugs it gets wearing after a while. The other thing to watch is the performance, a lot of bikes don't like them, a mate of mine tried one on his 350 Inter and it just killed the top end performance.

Andy

Thanks all for the advice and thoughts, I've spoke Phil Beresford today and he's shipping me a Mk1 concentric tomorrow. Fingers crossed

Previously Andy Marks wrote:

Hi Philip

I used a concentric on my Inter for a while when I first put it on the road and that made it very easy to use, it just looked awful (my inter is pre-war).

I would look at a pre-monobloc 289. I have run mine on one of these as well and it started, ran and ticked over well. Looks a lot better to. I now use this 289 on my ES2 and have got the correct TT carb on the Inter, I can see why you are considering changing though!

As for the Brooklands can, I have one of these on the Inter as well. It looks good but is VERY noisy, people don't like following me and even with a decent set of ear plugs it gets wearing after a while. The other thing to watch is the performance, a lot of bikes don't like them, a mate of mine tried one on his 350 Inter and it just killed the top end performance.

Andy

Andy

Where did you buy your Brooklands can & is it good quality?

Phil, can you let us know how you get on with the concentric? Ot of interest, why did you choose that over the 289?

George

Previously George Phillips wrote:

Phil, can you let us know how you get on with the concentric? Ot of interest, why did you choose that over the 289?

George

George, I'm hoping the concentric will be fitted later this week so when I see the results I'll let you know. Why the concentric, on balance I guess the input from the supplier swayed me. I'm hoping when I get the bike sorted in all other ways I'll sort the TT carb and refit it.

Phil

Previously George Phillips wrote:

George

George, sorry for not coming back sooner. In the end I didn't fit the concentric as I managed to get the TT carb set up as it should be.

Phil

Norton Owners Club Website by 2Toucans