Skip to main content
English French German Italian Spanish

Model 7 1955 wiring

Forums

Has anyone a photograph or details as to how the wiring loom is routed to the rear light and stop lamp on a 1955 Model 7. Unlike my 1959 twin there is no hole in the mudguard nor clips inside to hold the wiring. The 7 in the motorcycle museum simply has wiring wrapped around near side grabrail and looks very tatty. The plungers ran the wiring through the saddle bracket and the dual seat has the same bracket but cannot see how it would then route. Did the wiring also have a protective sheath over the cotton for the rear?

David

Hi David,

There should be a 'P' clip on the insidel/h of the rear mudguard that uses the top shock bolt as it's mount. There is another on the inner grab rail mount (not on the hinged part). This is/was a flat plate with threads in so might be a little tricky to get the P clip in. Both these were originally aluminium but something plated should be fine today.

I can't say if there is a sheath for it as this part of the wiring was replaced in 58 on my bike. The greater majority of the rest of the wiring is original and has no cotton covering.

Hope this helps

Jim

Previously david_keay wrote:

Has anyone a photograph or details as to how the wiring loom is routed to the rear light and stop lamp on a 1955 Model 7. Unlike my 1959 twin there is no hole in the mudguard nor clips inside to hold the wiring. The 7 in the motorcycle museum simply has wiring wrapped around near side grabrail and looks very tatty. The plungers ran the wiring through the saddle bracket and the dual seat has the same bracket but cannot see how it would then route. Did the wiring also have a protective sheath over the cotton for the rear?

David

Hello the old Norton had Small leather belts to hold thewiring harness in place but you could use a numbers of cat collars has long has there in black and cut off the ends to suit yours anna j

Previously jim_royce wrote:

Hi David,

There should be a 'P' clip on the insidel/h of the rear mudguard that uses the top shock bolt as it's mount. There is another on the inner grab rail mount (not on the hinged part). This is/was a flat plate with threads in so might be a little tricky to get the P clip in. Both these were originally aluminium but something plated should be fine today.

I can't say if there is a sheath for it as this part of the wiring was replaced in 58 on my bike. The greater majority of the rest of the wiring is original and has no cotton covering.

Hope this helps

Jim

Jim

Thank you for the information, fully understand and I will now fabricate two clips to hold the wires.

all the very best

David

Norton Owners Club Website by 2Toucans