Skip to main content
English French German Italian Spanish

Interstate side panel (ignition switch) 1973 850

Forums

Hi,

Probably obvious, but I'm struggling to remove the side panel with the ignition switch in......my rear light only works in a position that my headlights don't. I would like to check the wiring, but need to remove side panel. 

Any suggestions, video or idiots guide would be great!

Surprised nobody has replied, so here goes.

If original then has Dzus fastener under rear of fuel tank, if you remove seat you shuld see arm extending from side panel. You access fastener from underneath tank/above rear of carbs, if you still have rear strap securing rear of interstate tank you may also need to remove this, as raising tank helps in allowing front of side panel to swing out. If switch has been mounted in panel rather than behind it you may also need to remove it's lockring as in one behind key.

If you still have problem take seat off and send picture of what you have.

Regards Martin.

In reply to by martin_freeman

Hi Martin,

The metal tab at the top was only wedged in and not dzus fastened. I will have to fit one, although it didn't want to come out without one!

I have been away, so didn't see your reply! 

Thanks,

Krzysztof

One side panel was only held in place by the metal clip wedged under the tank and connected to the ignition switch. I suspect that a larger battery and new horn were fitted, and there isn't space for the side panel to fit correctly. The horn appears to have been fitted where a fastener would have been fitted. The other side panel is retained by two top screws. There are three holes at the base where I assume a bracket was fitted, although the single holed bracket hooks behind the large alloy bracket. I am seriously confused! Looks like home made mods......

Norton Owners Club Website by 2Toucans