Skip to main content
English French German Italian Spanish

Identify my oil leak. 1952 ES2

Forums

Hi all, I had an oil leak of some very fine clear oil and did not have chance to check where it was coming from until the next day at which point it had stopped so presumably whatever was leaking is out of oil. So does anyone have any likely candidates for where this might have come from? I am thinking possible the Amal carb has some sort of oil damper in it like an SU but not that familar with the internals of the carb at this point. It's a pre-mono block Amal. The leak did see to come from high up and I can't think of anything else it could be but the carb with the type of oil I was seeing.

I guess the lesson is when you see an oil leak trace it then don't assume it will still be there next day.

Hi David.

I have read that we can use Automatic Transmission Fluid in our ES2 primary drive chain cases,it could be that that is leaking!.

Terence

Actually I should have said I know it's not the primary chain case as it's currently off the bike as I am in the process of rebuilding the clutch. So it's not the primary chain case and it seemed to be originating from above the gearbox and it's not from the engine as it's not engine oil. I guess that is why I thought possibly the carb as I am not sure what else it could be. It almost sounds like I am answering my question nowsmiley So does anyone know if an Amal pre-mono block has some sort of oil in it for something? I tried looking through the Amal site now and at various exploded views but I don't spot anything.

The old carbs often leak fuel which can look and feel just like a thin oil if its been standing for a good while as the volatile elements dissapear.Its also possible that it is an engine oil leak,if its been standing a long time the dirty solids settle out and what looks like fresh oil can circulate for a while or be expelled from the breather on start up till the pump clears the sump.

I guess that must be it then. There is fresh petrol in the tank but the bike itself has not run much in the past 6 months so maybe so old petrol still in the carb. Thanks for the response.

And for your further info, no AMAL has any kind of oil damper. The only motorcycle carb I personally know of that did, was a run of 650 Triumph Thunderbirds in the early '50's that used an SU.

Previously tony_baxter wrote:

And for your further info, no AMAL has any kind of oil damper. The only motorcycle carb I personally know of that did, was a run of 650 Triumph Thunderbirds in the early '50's that used an SU.

Or a SU (Rivera) used on Harleys,not a factory item,but a good carb

Thanks for the info. That is useful to know. I have not had go into the carb yet though I am sure it's only a matter of time.

An oil leak high up on a single is more than likely coming from the rocker box joint. After replacing the gasket a number of times on my '61 Model 50and even usinga home made silicone rubber gasket, I finally bit the bullet and did away with the gasket all together.

A small bead of Permatex High-temp Red RTV Silicone Gasket Maker ( in the States it is product item # 81160<26B&gt;) was used following the Permatex instructions. Voila, no more leaks.

I believe that the convoluted shape of the rocker box makes a perfect joint almost impossible. The RTV fills all the gaps that result.

If all else fails, give it a try.

Mike

Thanks Mike but I don't think it's from the engine as it was a very fine clear oil. Definitly not engine oil. And it stopped over night so whatever it was ran out. I think maybe the old petrol explanation is going to be the most likely explanation.

Previously michael_sullivan wrote:

An oil leak high up on a single is more than likely coming from the rocker box joint. After replacing the gasket a number of times on my '61 Model 50and even usinga home made silicone rubber gasket, I finally bit the bullet and did away with the gasket all together.

A small bead of Permatex High-temp Red RTV Silicone Gasket Maker ( in the States it is product item # 81160<26B>;) was used following the Permatex instructions. Voila, no more leaks.

I believe that the convoluted shape of the rocker box makes a perfect joint almost impossible. The RTV fills all the gaps that result.

Mike

hello grease is much cheaper and dose the job just as well ,as RTV or anything else yours anna j

Previously anna jeannette Dixon wrote:

A small bead of Permatex High-temp Red RTV Silicone Gasket Maker ( in the States it is product item # 81160<26B>;) was used following the Permatex instructions. Voila, no more leaks.

Mike

hello grease is much cheaper and dose the job just as well ,as RTV or anything else yours anna j

That isin your opinion ! others may not agree.

Previously john_mcnicoll wrote:

Previously anna jeannette Dixon wrote:

Mike

That isin your opinion ! others may not agree.

Hello No this is not my opinion , its my experience that a different thing too a opinion , Yours Anna J

I feel I must put in a bit of 'input ' here! Those early '50's single rocker box's had no gasket, the owners book tells to only put a bead of sealer (can't remember the make right now)around the joint before bolting down. I have used this method using LOCTITE master gasket, and have had no leaks from this area after each time I have replaced the box. (any excess will dissolve harmlessly in the oil,........ unlike silastic which will circulate, blocking oil galleriessurprise)

I would imagine that using grease for a sealer would be as usefull as puttingan ashtray on my bike, a grease would soon melt with the engine heator be washed away with the hot oil.cheeky

I too have had a clear oily substance that has dribbled from my type 76 carburettor down onto the frame railon my Ariel while I had it up on the bench doing a re-build. I put it down to the valve saver/upper cylinder lubewhich I always add to my fuel, having the fuel evaporate off leaving it behind. Though I really didn't think I had used that much additive.....Don't know!

Norton Owners Club Website by 2Toucans