Skip to main content
English French German Italian Spanish

How rare is this 1968 Fastback?

Forums

Hello to the UK Norton Owners club.

I come here as the new owner of 126188 Commando 750 Fastback. I believe serial:126125 was the first off-the-production-line bike?

It would be good to understand where in the line this bike might have been.

The bike is yet to be delivered so I can go through it. The previous owner (who bought it in the US shipped it back to restore) tells me he found original silver on the underside of the red painted tank. From the pics he sent it has the logo depression on the tank and faskback (so post exhibition), stacked coils, No recall mod to the headtube/ toptube. These are some of the easier things I can identify so I am obviously hopeful this one is indeed a very early pre-'fastback'.

I am aiming to fully restore the bike as original. It is very beaten up and (storage)seized so a lot of time and dedication is required. These are my kind of restorations!

If anyone is in the Leatherhead/ Dorking Surrey area that I can meet up with who knows the early Norton stuff that would be a good link-up.

This will be my 2nd vintage. I'm just assembling a 62' Redditch Royal Enfield 350 Bullet so this is very different.

I'm super excited to get started. I will share as I learn the quirks of this model.

I'm still trying to like the Fastback tail...

Wow Rob that's literally within a few numbers of mine so yours is after mine :) if you go on youtube an tap in nortonrider there is a ton of videos on my 68 Commando as I was learning to work on her own as I rebuilt the engine on it from the crank up.

They make superb riding bikes with regards to the frame I'd highly recommend Norman White he added the frame support on mine and removed the original gusset plate and the work he did is second to none. Initially I wanted to keep mine as is but from a safety point of view and the fact I'm planning a big trip on it I decided to do it and I'm glad I did as it gives peice of mind and you can fit better head steadies if intending to ride as well. 

My dads bro actually raced a 68' Commando in the 60s hence me getting one superb bits of kit.

If I can help with any advice feel free to private message.

I'm glad you found my post! I looked at your channel and bought the NWhite book as you suggest.

I think you'll find that mine is not in concourse condition to say the least. In one way a total strip is the only way to learn on this one. Luckily I own a workshop which can provide the resource I need to restore this back to original. I will definatly start by reviewing your helpful videos and possibly pick your brains as I stumble. Again thanks for touching base.

Attachments

Rob...if you are in Surrey/Dorking area, have you come to meet Surrey Branch at Stepping Stones 8pm second Tuesday? Could hardly be closer! Might be walking distance.

Rob..(and all other Norton owners) Surrey NOC is having a gathering of Nortons at Ryka's cafe between Leatherhead and Dorking on Sunday 12th Sept. Good place to talk about your bike.

Norton Owners Club Website by 2Toucans