Skip to main content
English French German Italian Spanish

History request for HBX 939N

I have just taken ownership of a Norton Commando 850 roadster. It carries a Norton owners club badge and has a rear mudguard sticker with the name of a restorer, R I Hainsworth of Berwood, Manobier, Tenby.Following a road tax licence check of the vehicle it transpired the machine was last taxed for the road in 1998-99 and I had been advised that the bike had been the subject of a major refurb by Mr Hainsworth prior to that date. I was also advised by the seller (the nephew of the deceased previous owner) that the bike had been in the family ownership for as long as he could remember. Unfortunately the historical documents for the vehicle could not be located following the owners demise and the seller had only a photograph album showing a pictorial record of the refurbishment, including a before and after photograph of the machine and a record of a full strip of all the major components.I would appreciate any background information that any of the club members or Mr Hainsworth should he still be associated with the club may be able to provide.The bike is a black 850 roadsterRegistration HBX 939NFrame and engine numbers 311080Many thanksMark DoxeyAttachments img_1298-jpeg

Mark

I restored your Norton back in the late 1980's. It was a 'last nut & bolt' restoration, and it was in better condition than when it left the factory, i.e. ICI 2 pack paintwork, triple chrome, and so on.The gentleman I restored it for did not intend to ride it, he just wanted to look at it,so after my test milage it ended up in his front room as a showpiece! I did hear that he passed away some time later, what happened to the bike after that I don't know.With a 'BX' registration it would have been supplied by a Carmarthenshire dealer, probably 'Bowens of Carmarthen', or maybe 'Eddie Stephens', who Bowens bought out.

I do remember the owner's nephew, who at the time was involved in our local ITV television.

If the machine has just been stored since, you have a good one!

I'm still playing with Nortons, new and old. My latest restoration is in the March 2015 NOC callender.

Best wishes

Roger

Previously roger_hainsworth wrote:

Mark

I restored your Norton back in the late 1980's. It was a 'last nut & bolt' restoration, and it was in better condition than when it left the factory, i.e. ICI 2 pack paintwork, triple chrome, and so on.The gentleman I restored it for did not intend to ride it, he just wanted to look at it,so after my test milage it ended up in his front room as a showpiece! I did hear that he passed away some time later, what happened to the bike after that I don't know.With a 'BX' registration it would have been supplied by a Carmarthenshire dealer, probably 'Bowens of Carmarthen', or maybe 'Eddie Stephens', who Bowens bought out.

I do remember the owner's nephew, who at the time was involved in our local ITV television.

I'm still playing with Nortons, new and old. My latest restoration is in the March 2015 NOC callender.

Best wishes

Roger

Roger

Thank you for getting back to me. I can confirm that I received a copy of what must be your restoration photographical record included in with the sale of the bike. I read the notes on the reverse side of the photographs with interest as this gave me an insite into the the extent of the work you undertook. Unfortunately this was the only paperwork I received, except for an old Devitt's insurance document for a Mr A J Beeken dating back to 1998-99, I assume this would be the previous owner (the uncle) and it also ties in with the date of the bikes last road fund licence.

I can confirm that I purchased the bike from another nephew Wynne who recently retired as a career officer from the RAF, where he served latterly as a test pilot at Valley in Anglesey. Due to what I assume is a large scale life change Wynne had reluctantly decided the bike had to go, as lucky for me and it was sad for him.The bike was trailered back from Valley to my home port of Colyford in Devon a couple of weeks before Christmas.

HBX has recorded 2863 miles on the odometer which I assume was reset during the refurbishment so I am sure the engine would be barely run in.She is now not in the concourse condition she was in when she left your workshop, mores the pity. Sadly she was left to reside in a dry barn for some time and so is now in need of some TLC and recommisioning.

Would you fancy another project?I have put my contact details below if you do.

My intentions are to get the bike back on the road and try to return her to her former glory, although I doubt my endeavours would be anything like as good as yours.

Many thanks again

Kind Regards

Mark Doxey

Tel: 07738 056 644

email: mark.doxey@hotmail.co.uk

Previously mark_doxey wrote:

Previously roger_hainsworth wrote:

Mark

Best wishes

Roger

Roger

Thank you for getting back to me. I can confirm that I received a copy of what must be your restoration photographical record included in with the sale of the bike. I read the notes on the reverse side of the photographs with interest as this gave me an insite into the the extent of the work you undertook. Unfortunately this was the only paperwork I received, except for an old Devitt's insurance document for a Mr A J Beeken dating back to 1998-99, I assume this would be the previous owner (the uncle) and it also ties in with the date of the bikes last road fund licence.

I can confirm that I purchased the bike from another nephew Wynne who recently retired as a career officer from the RAF, where he served latterly as a test pilot at Valley in Anglesey. Due to what I assume is a large scale life change Wynne had reluctantly decided the bike had to go, as lucky for me and it was sad for him.The bike was trailered back from Valley to my home port of Colyford in Devon a couple of weeks before Christmas.

HBX has recorded 2863 miles on the odometer which I assume was reset during the refurbishment so I am sure the engine would be barely run in.She is now not in the concourse condition she was in when she left your workshop, mores the pity. Sadly she was left to reside in a dry barn for some time and so is now in need of some TLC and recommisioning.

Would you fancy another project?I have put my contact details below if you do.

My intentions are to get the bike back on the road and try to return her to her former glory, although I doubt my endeavours would be anything like as good as yours.

Many thanks again

Kind Regards

Mark Doxey

Tel: 07738 056 644

email: mark.doxey@hotmail.co.uk

I served with Wynn in the RAF at Aldergrove and Benson, and remember his bike and that his uncle had left it to him. It was as new then, that would have been about 1997-8

Dave Evans

Norton Owners Club Website by 2Toucans