Skip to main content
English French German Italian Spanish

Fritz W. Egli solves major problems with Commando 961

In May 2014 it will be exactly two years that I bought my new 961 CafÃ? Racer from the Swiss distributor Egli Motorrad Technik AG in Bettwil, Switzerland (EMT) www.egli-racing.ch. In this time I drove more than 7000 miles with it. Several problems that I encountered with my 961 were discussed somewhere in this forum.

Today, I can inform you that thanks to Fritz W. Egli and his team (EMT) the major problems with my bike are solved and it is even more fun now to ride it.

With the concepts and modifications of EMT the gears are now changing smoothly and there is no more jumping out of gears as before. A failure of the gear box (broken welding seam on a genuine part) with about 4500 miles on the clock was repaired by EMT within a few hours.

For the thoroughly discussed problem with heavy oil consumption of several 961-engines â in my case more than 1 litre per 1000 km (resp. above 1.6 litres per 1000 miles) â Fritz W. Egli found the following remedy: Fitting of new oversize pistons, honing of cylinders to a new diameter of 88.05 mm (in other cases even boring to 88.5 mm). Since this modification of EMT I nearly drove 1000 km (about 600 miles) and I did not have to refill one drop of oil! The level of motor oil did not change noticeably and the airbox stayed nearly clean, whereas before these measures were taken, oil was dripping to the ground respectively the airbox had plenty of oil in it and especially the left spark plug was getting oiled.

I want to let you know that EMT has functioning concepts ready for others with similar problems and there are no long waiting times to get your bike back on the road in a condition as it should beâ?

Sean Kynnersley of the Norton Factory UK once stated somewhere else in this forum that âYou can be assured the Norton Factory will NEVER abandon its valued riders.â

To my mind, Norton UK does not only abandon with EMT one of its major distributors (with over 90 imports of Commando 961 motorcycles to Switzerland) by not paying him for a big batch of warranty claims from dozens of his clients. Norton UK is apparently stating that an oil consumption of up to 1 litre per 1000 km is normal (whereas my 961 used even more than that: before the first try with honing the cylinders and reusing the original pistons, it was even around 1 litre per 400 to 500 miles!). Those so-called industrial standards date back to the 50s or 60s and have nothing to do with modern engines!

Norton UK does not acknowledge the modification of EMT with the oversize pistons. Therefore I had to pay for this very successful remedy for the excessive oil consumption out of my own pocket, this within my warranty period!

I can tell you that I feel not only abandoned by Norton UK, but in my view, the attitude of Norton UK to ignore a major problem like heavy oil consumption, just staying silent on this among other topics and not taking its responsibilities is not one of a serious company!

An excessive oil consumption is not only bad for the engine. It is resulting in oiled spark plugs, an oiled exhaust system and may even burn the catalysts as I have seen examples in the workshop, not at least burnt oil is in addition to be annoying and cost-intensive for the driver also bad for the environmentâ?

Raphael Vonaesch, Switzerland

Previously charles_bovington wrote:

Can we expect that this thread will now be locked in deference to Mr. Garner?

Good question, Charles.

My CR was repaired the same time like RaphaeÄ?'s was. In the same workshop. Ãnd it's my bike with cylinders rebored to 88.5 mm. With 1000 miles after the repair by Egli Motorrad Technik AG I didn't notice any oil consumption. And my subjectiv impression is, the engine respons to the throtle much better than before. It would be realy interesting to read here the reaction of Sean Kinersley.

Previously raphael_vonaesch wrote:

In May 2014 it will be exactly two years that I bought my new 961 CafÃ? Racer from the Swiss distributor Egli Motorrad Technik AG in Bettwil, Switzerland (EMT) www.egli-racing.ch. In this time I drove more than 7000 miles with it. Several problems that I encountered with my 961 were discussed somewhere in this forum. ........

..... An excessive oil consumption is not only bad for the engine. It is resulting in oiled spark plugs, an oiled exhaust system and may even burn the catalysts as I have seen examples in the workshop, not at least burnt oil is in addition to be annoying and cost-intensive for the driver also bad for the environmentâ?

Well I have a 54 year old Norton 650 Manxman export model and I have rebuilt this motor and honed it my self, and fitted the right piston rings , as they were not the right ones , I have now done well over 1000 miles by now and I have not changed the oil its nice and clear as the day I put in , no oil burning , it runs and starts very nice now, and Having read this thread I am just wondering witch Planet Norton Motorcycles are On , When our branch went around there plant they did tell us all that the pistons and ring were from a car, a Subaru impreza I think , or something like that, but there blank pistons then CNC milled to there Specifications so some were along this line is a wrong setting in the CNC milling work or the piston ring end gaps that are not right , to get this type of oil consumption .this is what in my mind as a chef engineer on marine engines, in my day things like this just did not happen , as there were strict inspections and testing going on, I am saying in my day as I am now over 60 years old and very next to being retired, So then no one person can tell anyone whats the procedure for inspection and testing at Norton Motorcycles but a thing like this, Some one need's to put there hands up, and say something being silent will not help anyone, Yours Anna J Dixon East Yorkshire Branch

A very pertinent comment Anna.

Good news that Raphael and Gabriel are now very happy with their bikes.

That what amounts to a brand new engine required a +20 Thou overbore speaks volumes for it's self and requires no further comment. To expect Norton to comment is pointless as in their eyes there never was a problem in the first place.

Probably a cynical view but the bikes fitted with what would appear to be a batch of poor quality cylinders/pistons will soon be out of warranty - problem (that didn't exist) very cheaply solved. The Ostrich is not that daft after all.

Happy Easter

Previously david_charlesworth wrote:

A very pertinent comment Anna.

Good news that Raphael and Gabriel are now very happy with their bikes.

That what amounts to a brand new engine required a +20 Thou overbore speaks volumes for it's self and requires no further comment. To expect Norton to comment is pointless as in their eyes there never was a problem in the first place.

Probably a cynical view but the bikes fitted with what would appear to be a batch of poor quality cylinders/pistons will soon be out of warranty - problem (that didn't exist) very cheaply solved. The Ostrich is not that daft after all.

Happy Easter

Well at the end of the day its all down to how accurate the CNC machining is , And having the right Tolerances between the cylinders and the piston and its piston ring , they buy in blank materials too be machined by there machinist and the machinist can only go with the figurers he get from the design team so somewhere the design team as some tolerances thats not quite right somewhere its there and its real the owners are seen the evidence ,too there cost and with warranty this should not happen , yours anna j

I don't normally comment on models I don't have, such as OHC, Lightweight Twins and the new 961. However, only a year ago at Sherburn, I was speaking to a a fed up owner of a 961. He told me that the machine had been returned to the factory on more than one occasion and never any better on return. His main grief was very high oil consumption, saying that he could not ride from Leeds to Scarborough and back, a round trip of less than 120 miles, without having to top up the oil.

Now, I want Norton as a manufacturer of new motorcycles to succeed and extend their range. This problem should have been nipped in the bud and fixed by the factory. The fact that Egli had to do the work and provide a cure does the brand no good at all. I don't know the answer to this but if the factory continued to produce and sell bikes with a known fault then that is a serious matter, unless of course the official line was that there was no problem?

Previously neil_wyatt wrote:

I don't normally comment on models I don't have, such as OHC, Lightweight Twins and the new 961. However, only a year ago at Sherburn, I was speaking to a a fed up owner of a 961. He told me that the machine had been returned to the factory on more than one occasion and never any better on return. His main grief was very high oil consumption, saying that he could not ride from Leeds to Scarborough and back, a round trip of less than 120 miles, without having to top up the oil.

Now, I want Norton as a manufacturer of new motorcycles to succeed and extend their range. This problem should have been nipped in the bud and fixed by the factory. The fact that Egli had to do the work and provide a cure does the brand no good at all. I don't know the answer to this but if the factory continued to produce and sell bikes with a known fault then that is a serious matter, unless of course the official line was that there was no problem?

Not all 961 bikes have this problem my bike has used no oil at all in the last 500 miles. I am not alone so it looks to me that the problem if one existed,has been solved.

Previously dave_sheppard wrote:

Not all 961 bikes have this problem my bike has used no oil at all in the last 500 miles. I am not alone so it looks to me that the problem if one existed,has been solved.

I agree with you Dave, as I've said before my bike is well over 3 years old now so one of the early ones. I have never had to top up oil between service, the only exception was in my first few months of owning it. I allowed the bike to stand for too long before checking the level so it showed low on the dipstick. I only needed a small amount to take it to the top mark but I ended up having to take some out as it was well above the level when I checked it correctly.

JMc

Like I said, I don't own one off these bikes and I made it clear that I was only commenting on what a then (& Perhaps now) owner told me. Anything Norton gets my attention.

A bit of oil consumption is normal in most engines during the running in period anyway. I'm glad not all 961's are suffering high oil consumption after running in. I just hope the factory has or will fix bikes in the batch affected and learn from this for the good of the brand.

Like I said, I don't own one off these bikes and I made it clear that I was only commenting on what a then (& Perhaps now) owner told me. Anything Norton gets my attention.

A bit of oil consumption is normal in most engines during the running in period anyway. I'm glad not all 961's are suffering high oil consumption after running in. I just hope the factory has or will fix bikes in the batch affected and learn from this for the good of the brand.

I am sure they will Neil, they have been excellent with support for me and all the other owners I have met so far.

JMc

Good to know John, it gives confidence for when the OHC new single comes out. My wishful thinking as I'd like one.

Good to know John, it gives confidence for when the OHC new single comes out. My wishful thinking as I'd like one.

Hello Neil,

Whats this about a new OHC single Norton PLEASE spill the beans as I have not heard that rumour.

Denis.

Hi Denis, as said, it was my wishful thinking and nothing more.

Sorry, but we can hope and dream.(And give em a nudge)

This is rather missing the point. The fact is that several Continental owners have suffered what they regard as unacceptable service levels from Norton Motorcycles. That the engine was rectified by Friz Egli suggests that Norton are less competent than he is, or don't really care about euro customers.

I can only hope that American customers receive better treatment. After all the Commando 961 is supposed to be a premium product at a premium price.

Agreed Charles, it should have been the factory putting this right or authorisingEgli to make good and refund the owners costs. (Where the problem occurred under warranty) Not good PR.

I only wanted, as a third party to convey what a 961 owner said to me. I'll say no more on the 961 since I don't own one. Happy riding and I hope they are all fixed now.

Final Commment

Dear owners and not owners of a 961Dear Mr Kynnersley

Please allow me one final and last comment in the NOC-forum:

It is a slap in the face for Norton's âvalued ridersâ who are of the ones suffering damage from the situation which is prevailing at least outside of the UK (details can be read elsewhere in this forum) to read some small talk of Mr Kynnersley and some selfish statements as âHigh oil consumption? not on mine...â of 961 owners who covered âalreadyâ 500 miles...

Ignoringserious technical issues and meanwhile doing some small talk in public is not the behaviour of a so-called Technical Contact for the 961 series, but in my estimation only reflectinga certainarrogance of the company in questionâ?

My warranty period is expiring this month and I hope I had now all major issues and can enjoy riding my bike without any moreworries or nightmares.

In this sense, I wish happy riding to everybody.

Good bye!

Previously raphael_vonaesch wrote:

Final Commment

Dear owners and not owners of a 961Dear Mr Kynnersley

Please allow me one final and last comment in the NOC-forum:

It is a slap in the face for Norton's âvalued ridersâ who are of the ones suffering damage from the situation which is prevailing at least outside of the UK (details can be read elsewhere in this forum) to read some small talk of Mr Kynnersley and some selfish statements as âHigh oil consumption? not on mine...â of 961 owners who covered âalreadyâ 500 miles...

Ignoringserious technical issues and meanwhile doing some small talk in public is not the behaviour of a so-called Technical Contact for the 961 series, but in my estimation only reflectinga certainarrogance of the company in questionâ?

My warranty period is expiring this month and I hope I had now all major issues and can enjoy riding my bike without any moreworries or nightmares.

In this sense, I wish happy riding to everybody.

Good bye!

Hi Raphael, I'm pleased to hear that your now enjoying your 961. It is difficult for us owners that have not had problems to understand, however it should not happen. As I've said before, my bike has been superb and I've got it at Donnington for it's 6,000 miles service at the momentand I've had it for over 3 years. It doesn't use any oil but I agree with you that someone that has only done 500 miles cannot really comment on this. My bike is well out of warranty so I hope that it keeps going as well as it is now. I hope to cover a lot more miles this year as I am selling some of my other bikes. The main reason is thatI prefer riding the 961to the othersand that includes my Norton 850 Roadster

Cheers, John Mc

Previously John McNicoll wrote:

Hi Raphael, I'm pleased to hear that your now enjoying your 961. It is difficult for us owners that have not had problems to understand

I would have thought that a gearbox being stuck in third gearwas some sort of problem.......

Previously david_charlesworth wrote:

Previously John McNicoll wrote:

Hi Raphael, I'm pleased to hear that your now enjoying your 961. It is difficult for us owners that have not had problems to understand

I would have thought that a gearbox being stuck in third gearwas some sort of problem.......

David, I was talking about the oil problem. My bike was one of the first 961 Sport delivered and my gearbox issue was sorted within a week under warranty. That was over 3 years ago and I have had no problems since. Anyway I was pleased to hear that Raphael now has his sorted and he is enjoying it and hope he can get the warranty issues resolved.

JMc

Norton Owners Club Website by 2Toucans