Skip to main content
English French German Italian Spanish

Clutch centre washer 22196

Forums

Hi,

I see a clutch centre washer 22196 listed in the early Lightweight parts list, but can't find any reference about it. Anyone know what it is for?

Cheers, Stan

I found this picture of lock tab washer from a similar  AMC/Matchless clutch but I can´t remember if it is also fitted in my Navigator clutch.lock tab

In reply to by ulrich_hoffmann

I had tried all the Norton forums and some clasic bikes without any success. Didn't try AMC. Wonder where it fits and why.

Cheers, Stan

In reply to by ulrich_hoffmann

Thanks again, I have had a look at that and now a few other sites. After checking the Norton clutch parts diagrams I can't see how that could fit in there.

All I can think is that the boffins got it wrong (again) and put an AJS/Matchless part in the Norton parts list. After all the Norton manuals are really a joke when compared with the likes of Triumph and the other old Brit bikes.

Stan

Hi Stan,

Norton lightweights had 3 different clutch centres over the life of lightweights.

Early Jubilee, with a small spline in centre.

Then a larger spline for Jubilee and Navigator when Navi introduced.

Then a larger again spline with Electra, introduced to Nav and Jub as early stock ran out on production.

Which clutch centre do you think you have?

All clutches use a split spring washer under the clutch securing nut. Same nut and washer for the two smallest centres. Larger for Electra.

It is my observation that the earliest clutch centre, when put on the earliest mainshaft, seems to place the clutch drum too far inboard. I suspect that there is a hardened thick washer that goes onto the mainshaft and fits in the counterbore only present on the back of the earliest clutch centre. I fitted one.

Cannot think of any other washers meeting your description.

The later clutch centres do have a thick washer pressed in as part of manufacture. The internal spline is broached through and a thick washer pressed in  from the side with the extraction thread. If 22196 is the part number of this washer, It has never been available as a spare. 

Let us know the reference number and date of your parts list.

Hope this helps.

Peter 

I myself have no clue as to what the washer looks like or does, it is just that it is listed but not illustrated in the parts pre 1964 Jubilee, Navigator list posted no this site. But there is no info about it anywhere so I just asked the question to see if anyone knows.

I think that your idea about the early hub/shaft needing a washer could be the answer. It is logical at least and if it was dropped so soon may be why there is no other reference  to it.  As I said there seems a lot lacking in the technical references from Norton.

Cheers, Stan

I believe a factory drawing exists of this part. Have never seen it before, so am looking forward to finding out what it is.... Watch this space.....

The Drawing is listed as a 'Mainshaft abutment washer' and it appears only in the 1959 Parts List as "Clutch Centre Washer" - which implies it was fitted to the early stepped mainshaft models.

Norton Owners Club Website by 2Toucans