Skip to main content

Centre stand pivots. Dominator 99, 1957

Forums

Hope this makes sense.

Currently building up this bike which has completely original parts and is almost finished. Started many years ago.

I am referring to the centre stand pivots. Looking at the offside of the machine directly below the gearbox at the frame lug and the centre stand pivot. Large hexagon with a 5/16 inch hole through the middle which passes through the frame lug and is the top pivot of the centre stand.

This pivot seems unsupported and looks like it is intended to take a 2 inch x 5/16 inch bolt through the frame lug, through the pivot and then through the engine plate. There is a similar arrangement on the nearside which would seem to benefit with a bolt through in the same way, but of course the inner chaincase would have to be removed to put a bolt in place. I've currently fitted a suitable bolt on the nearside.

I've looked at the exploded diagrams in the appropriate Norton parts list and it does not appear to show any bolts passing through these pivots.

Can anyone enlighten me please.

My centre stands are missing those small bolts through the middle and have been working fine. Maybe someone can tell us what they do and why they are necessary.

It seems to me that with bolts through the frame lug, pivot and engine plate the whole thing would be much stronger.

Me too I'd like to know.

Previously richard_evans wrote:

Resurrecting this in case someone can assist

These bolts were missing on my Atlas ,so I used what I could find. I suspect they help tie all the bits together to give strength and help prevent the bottom frame tubes from bending under the combined load of complete machine and rider plus kickstarting when on the stand.

thanks it makes sense

It would be interesting to know whether it was intended because they are not listed in the Norton Parts List as far as I can see.

Norton Owners Club Website by 2Toucans