Skip to main content
English French German Italian Spanish

Basic setings for 376 monoblocs on a 1966 650SS

Forums

I recently had my 376 Monoblocs refurbed, and am now in the process of setting up the carbs. Can anyone confirm the basic settings to start from. The carbs have 3½ throttle slides, 270 main jets, 25 pilot jets, with 106 needles.in the 3rd.(middle) groove. I have the bike running (stationary at present), and although it ticks over well enough and revs OK, I would guess it may be running a little rich, as it seems to prefer no choke when starting from cold.

Any ideas?

David Francis.

Hello David - you haven't said yet anything about the pilot air screw position.  I usually screw it fully in then back it out 1 1/4 turns and start from there.  Get a nice steady ticker turning the pilot air screw in or out a little and then reduce the throttle stops until the tickover is nice and steady and the throttle responds immediately to demands.  If it is still a bit sooty you can try dropping the needles a groove.  Have you got the air filter fitted or not ? That can make it a bit richer.  Usually your model had concentric carbs with the short induction manifolds. The Monoblocs work better with the longer (1 inch ) manifolds and the tin sleeves in the head and the manifolds.  Good luck, howard  

hello factory setting  376/317 is size  1 1/16, main 270, pilot 25, slide 3 1/2 ,needle pos 3 ,needle jet .106

it is same which you have , take bike on trip out of city and after 10miles check spark  plugs and make corection of air screw, more air if colour is too much black ,less air when colour is white

good colour is red/brown it is ideal mix

good luck

Tomas

Norton Owners Club Website by 2Toucans