Skip to main content
English French German Italian Spanish

Bar end mirrors for 961 CafÃ?

Greetings all!

So I finally have my 961 and it's lovely (well to look at, I haven't started it up yet!) Don't wish to pull attention until I'm good and ready for it!

Anyhow, I have never been a fan of the standard mirrors, and am looking to find some bar-end ones to fit. (clip onsare 14mm). Has any one fitted bar ends, that they would be happy sharing a photo of, there's quite a few out there and I havelittle expereince of which are the better quality ones.

Many thanks, Roger

Hi Roger -- I fitted some cheap-ish ones to my RE Bullet and the glass shook loose and disappeared down the road in short order. My local dealer recommends Halcyon. I've bought one of the rectangular stainless-steel ones. I haven't fitted it yet but it looks well-made, and is spring-loaded for filtering etc. Expensive, but probably not out of proportion with the bike you'll be using it on :)

Hi Ed,

Thank you for your input. - Funnily enough, I too have a R.E. ('53 Model G) which I had bought a Halcyon mirror for, but have not yet even taken it out of the box. I had only bought this as it was advertised at Htichcocks. I had no expereience of the brand.

I gave Halcyon a call today, and the good news is their standard fitment size of 7/8" to 1" in diameter with an inside dimension of between 17.5mm and 21mm. However this can be machined down to accomodatea 14mm internal bar, which is what the 961 has.

I have ordered these with the additional machining, (which only take place on a tuesday)

For info: The Halcyon 830's are 100mm and convexed. Not to be confused with the street fighter ones of 75mm and flat planed.

Hello Roger

I have fitted a CRG hindsight mirror, to my CR , they are a quality bit of kit, they also supply a special taper sleeve to adapt them to fit all bar sizes, they are available from Faster by Design, a bit pricey but are quality , I have also fitted them to my ducati I am that impressed, they also fold flat when not in use to prevent damage.

Hope you enjoy the Norton I know I do

Happy trails

Previously wrote:

Greetings all!

So I finally have my 961 and it's lovely (well to look at, I haven't started it up yet!) Don't wish to pull attention until I'm good and ready for it!

Anyhow, I have never been a fan of the standard mirrors, and am looking to find some bar-end ones to fit. (clip onsare 14mm). Has any one fitted bar ends, that they would be happy sharing a photo of, there's quite a few out there and I havelittle expereince of which are the better quality ones.

Many thanks, Roger

Hi Roger

I have black Oberon bar monted mirrors on my 961 cafe racer. Trouble is can't attach photo, but if you go to Oberon website you can see. They are excellent quality.

I bought a pair of round black bar end mirrors from ebay for about £30 a pair. They don't fold but the important thing is they are convex. Many of the Halcyon type mirrors are flat and totally useless IMHO

I bought some black Oberon 'streetfighter' bar end mirrors for my 961. Bit of a shock when they arrived as they looked more like mirror's for a budgie cage! Look super cool when fitted though and give a good enough view of whats behind you when you finally find the right position. Maybe I hadn't tightened one up correctly but one of the grub screws shook itself loose and dropped out whilst I was at speed, never did find it but the mirror doesn't drop off it just drops out of position :)

Previously wrote:

I bought a pair of round black bar end mirrors from ebay for about £30 a pair. They don't fold but the important thing is they are convex. Many of the Halcyon type mirrors are flat and totally useless IMHO

Hello David - I undeterstand totally. The 830's which these are, are the slightly larger and convex mirrors. They are very clear.

The street fighter style smaller ones, from Halcyon are not convex. (They still might be clear, but objects in the rear view mirror, may not appear larger than they are!)

Roger

Previously wrote:

I bought some black Oberon 'streetfighter' bar end mirrors for my 961. Bit of a shock when they arrived as they looked more like mirror's for a budgie cage! Look super cool when fitted though and give a good enough view of whats behind you when you finally find the right position. Maybe I hadn't tightened one up correctly but one of the grub screws shook itself loose and dropped out whilst I was at speed, never did find it but the mirror doesn't drop off it just drops out of position :)

Opps, indeed!

I've just fitted black Oberon mirrors to mine and they look really good, haven't

tried them out yet as the roads have all been gritted again, report back when I do get to use them

You may have read elsewhere on the Commando messages but my 750 took a tumble and landed on the RHside, the handlebar was bent and brake lever broken but the non folding round ebay mirror survived intact, albeit a little shabby looking.

Hi, I have ordered and recieved the Halcyon 830 mirrors, with the fitment machined down to 14mm, great.. But tried to fit and there appears to be a sleeve down inside the bars and consequent its narrow than 14mm so the very end piece won't slot down.. Anyone else find this when fitting them and suggest a work around?..

Great recommendation though and look great on the pics posted. Thx

I have also fitted the Halcyon 830 mirrors, I had the fitting machined down to 13mm diameterwith alength of 45mm. There is a step as previously stated at 48-50mm from the bar end. I suggest that an accurate measurement is taken of the bar internal diameter before ordering, as there would seem to be slight variations in the internal diameter of the bars.

Previously roger_farrow wrote:

Greetings all!

Many thanks, Roger

What of mirors???? Retrovisors

Previously gabriel_vyskocil wrote:

Previously roger_farrow wrote:

Greetings all!

Many thanks, Roger

What of mirors???? Retrovisors

Hi,

Check mirrors and indicators section and you will find a photo ofmy 961 fitted with a set of oberon bar end mirrors.

BOB

Norton Owners Club Website by 2Toucans