Skip to main content
English French German Italian Spanish

Amal monobloc deformed for my 650.

Forums

I have just found out that the slides of my left hand carbie is sticking. I have tried the pinch it trick with the body of the carbie, with some success, but I am not happy with the result. 

The amal is now quite old (1962) and new ones will cost around 400quid to replace the pair. Are there any alternatives for the amal that don't cost the earth? 

Has anyone had any experience with alternatives and with what success? 

Cheers.

My advice is a single carb conversion.

A single 930 Mk 1 concentric (30mm)  set up as per Mercury.

No carb issues since. 

If you don't usually push your bike to its limit, a single carb conversion makes things easier. Not very big loss of top end power. In fact fine tuning of twin carbs is often so difficult that you get better result with a single carb. A Mikuni VM could be an alternative to the AMAL Concentric if you find a suitable inlet manifold.

They seem fine. Weirdly heavy compared to a "genuine" concentric. But you aren't going for authenticity are you?

You can get your carbs re-sleeved, as i have had all my own carbs,re-sleeved. The throttle slide fits better in the body of the carb. Martyn Bratby does this type of work. 

I would find a single carb manifold and fit the remaining good monoblock .  If you don't like the result then a new  amal concentric  could be fitted. 

I  have a few spare monoblock bodies, email me and i'll send you details.

Jon

Norton Owners Club Website by 2Toucans