Skip to main content
English French German Italian Spanish

Amal 376 Carb washer

Forums
The parts list for my'55 ES2 does not show any gasket for the carb. The parts list for the carb (Amal website) shows an O-ring to mate with the flange on the cylinder. I've just ordered the usual oval shaped gasket but do I actually need it with the O-ring in place especially as it is not shown? An earlier parts list (1950) shows the usual oval gasket but only for models 30, 30M, 40 and 40M. I'm thinking it's not needed on a '55 ES2. Any views?George

My experience of 276 carbs (pre monobloc, separate float chamber) is that they never had O rings, merely a paper washer. With any AMAL carb, it's worth checking if the mating flange is completely flat to avoid air leaks.

Monoblocs and concentrics have a groove to accept an O ring. If your carb has a groove, fit an O ring.

Thanks Gordon. Yes, mine is a 376 with a groove and O-ring. I was checking whether it need the gasket as well. I'll go ahead just with the O-ring. Easily sorted if there's a prob. George

George. As Gordon said, if your carb has the groove for the 'O' ring, use that and not the paper gasket. They are not meant to be used together. Just remember not to overtighten the nuts, as the carb flange is easily distorted, along with the carb body, resulting in air leaks and sticking slide, as in not closing when you shut the throttle! As our friends the other side of the pond say, a butt-pucker.... SurprisedIan

Thanks guys - truth is that I have a standard 376 c/w O-ring but when I removed the carb there was also thin washer there. As it had split I naturally ordered up another. Oh well....in the grand scheme of things, not a problem. George

Norton Owners Club Website by 2Toucans